Tangent Scale Models is pleased to announce the availability today of new paint schemes for our HO Scale General American 4180 “Airslide” covered hopper. First released by Tangent in 2015, our GATC 4180 Airslide covered hopper continues our industry-leading focus on beautiful detailing, consistent colors and stenciling, excellent operating abilities, and phase detailing. When you factor in the quality of detailing and execution out of the box against your modeling time, Tangent provides a better value than train set alternatives that have fewer parts and missing stencil markings.
Our January 2019 production of General American 4180 covered hoppers includes FOUR all-new RTR railroad paint schemes.
Check them out now by clicking here:
Boston & Maine B&M “Prince Spaghetti 1984” replicates one of the most famous GATC 4180 paint schemes ever applied to these cars. Boston & Maine took one of its gray airslides and painted it for Prince Spaghetti in Lowell MA, including the iconic “Wednesday is Prince Spaghetti Day” slogan. This colorful model features correct phase details for a 1977-built car, including a low mounted brake stand, wide side posts and wide Morton running board. This car is available in one number, just like the prototype, and is sure to sell out fast.
Boston & Maine B&M “1980 Paintout” continues down a Boston & Maine path. This scheme replicates GACX leased cars that were acquired by the Boston & Maine in 1980. While most of the data is intact, the B&M patched over the GACX reporting marks and numbers and replaced them with their own. Another example of 1977-built cars, these have the appropriate phase details including low mounted brake appliances, wide side posts, and wide Morton running boards. This scheme is available in 3 accurate numbers, and each one features unique gray patch stencils per prototype photos for 3 precise replicas!
Grand Trunk Western GTW “Original 1978” shows off the dark blue 1978 Delivery scheme for the Grand Trunk Western. This paint job is full of little details like accurate GATC stencils, a raised-plate ACI label and even the correct Milwaukee Road return-route stencils to Redwing, Minnesota. Of course, the model has the appropriate phase details for a 1978-built 4180 Airslide, including the wide side posts and low brake appliances. This scheme is available in three numbers, and check out the prototype photo right on our product page!
Western Maryland WM “Original 1971” rolls in with the classic Western Maryland speed lettering. These replicas from a 1971 order include GATC phase details like the wide side posts and Apex running boards. All WM lettering is present and accurately rendered on the model including the smallest trust data, correct red caution stencils, and the GATX builder logo. Did you notice that stand-off ACI label? Gray trucks finish off the model, just like the prototype. This sharp scheme is available in two numbers!
The Tangent Scale Models GATC 4180s are shipping NOW.
See https://www.tangentscalemodels.com/general-american-4180-airslide-covered-hopper/ for photos and more.
Features for our replicas include:
– Dimensional accuracy – designed from actual General American plans and verified with field measurements
– Highly correct “true to life” colors
– “Hyper-Accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement
– Genuine Kadee® scale couplers
– “Near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail
– Multiple road numbers for each scheme
– “See through” etched metal running boards
– A series of various spotting variations that replicate cars from General American’s prolific 1965-1980 production period, including different roofs, running boards, body side post (“rib”) profiles, high and low brake arrangements on the B end, different ladder and grab iron arrangements, with or without crossover platforms and handrails, etc. Sell off the toy trains and save your time – we do freight cars right
– Lacy details installed and painted – wire grab irons and coupler lift bars
– Separate air hoses
– CNC-machined 36” wheels in high quality Tangent Scale Models trucks, with semi-scale wheels available separately
– Recommended age 14 years and older
Do not miss out on the Tangent Scale Models General American 4180 Airslide covered hopper, one of the most sought-after freight cars from the turbulent 1960s-1970s period, done right with phase variations! Pricing for RTR models is $44.95.
Thank you for continuing to support Tangent Scale Models, a family-owned and operated company!