Asheville, North Carolina: Tangent Scale Models is pleased to announce the availability today of our third release of the HO Scale Pullman-Standard PS-2CD 4427 High Side Covered Hopper! This is the latest Pullman-Standard covered hopper product in our line of “family-appearance” cars that introduce market-leading design and tooling practices, geared toward consumers who desire the most accurate models with a “family-appearance” between prototypes manufactured by the same builder.
During the 1960s, railcar builders experimented with covered hopper designs to satisfy the evolving needs of shippers as they moved away from forty-foot box cars to bulk transport railcars. Pullman’s PS-2 design evolution continued in 1966 when the “Low Side” 4427 was replaced with the “High Side” version. The 4427 “High Side” was visually distinctive with its high slope bays and center of gravity, which sped the unloading process of bulk commodities. The “High Side” 4427 included 13 exterior side posts, similar to its sister car design, the PS-2 4740, which had 16 side posts. Both designs were introduced in 1966, and 4427 “High Side” production ended in 1971 after delivery of approximately 12,000 cars.
The Tangent Scale Models PS4427 “High Side” is a dimensionally-accurate replica of the real car and provides continuity with our other Pullman-Standard covered hoppers, including model design, scheme colors, and stenciling. Our model includes key build variations: stirrup steps, roof hatches, jacking pads, tow loops, discharge gates, and side air lines. This replica includes our “near-scale” draft gear box including side “key” detail. Our ready-to-operate replica is finished with coupler lift bars accompanying Kadee® scale couplers, sufficient hidden weights, and CNC-machined wheels to ensure the model operates as good as it looks.
Our November 2023 production of our Pullman-Standard PS-2CD 4427 High Side Covered Hopper includes NINE all-new RTR paint schemes plus THREE undecorated options. Check them out now at www.tangentscalemodels.com
And as usual, all our offerings below feature photos on our website showing the actual model and the prototype cars! Here are our schemes:
– Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe ATSF “Delivery 12-1966” shows the as-delivered red with classic circle-cross Santa Fe logo. The ATSF rostered an astounding 3,900 High Side PS4427 covered hoppers. We chose the December 1966 group for this release, totaling 1250 cars and part of the Santa Fe’s GA-161 car class. The models come equipped with Portloc gravity gates and Apex style end crossover platforms. With a 1966 built date, the Santa Fe cars follow the details of earlier PS4427 High Side prototypes, including center sill supports between the bays and solid end running board supports. The finely-printed capacity data, internal liner application dates, lube data and even the end air reservoir IDT dates all vary from car number to car number. ATSF-Red 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks with accurate (and rotating!) Brenco-6 caps finish the model. This is an important group of cars on the Santa Fe, and they deserve to be done accurately. Available in 12 numbers! SKU 21026
– Chicago and North Western C&NW “Delivery 1-1967” wears the light gray paint and black graphics scheme as applied to the entire 500-car C&NW order from Pullman-Standard. The C&NW lettering has been carefully replicated, from the ball-and-bar logo to the tiniest PS lot 9181 stencil number. All of the lettering is present and accurate. We even found an example from this class still in original paint in 2005! These cars feature Miner gravity gates and a PS ribbed-style roof hatch. Check out that accurate Universal brake wheel on the end! The model also features 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks with rotating Timken caps. Available in 12 numbers! SKU 21027
– Missouri-Kansas-Texas MKT “Delivery Red 4-1968 replicates the as-delivered red paint of the MKT. Pullman-Standard delivered 300 cars to the Katy in 1968. The models are equipped with original Miner outlet gates along with an Apex running board and end crossover platforms. The carbody features bold MKT graphics along with all that accurate Pullman-Standard data. If you look closely at the ACI label, you will notice that it is mounted on a larger plate, raised from the car side. We have carefully duplicated this little detail. Equipped with 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks with truck-mounted brake beams and rotating Brenco-6 caps, these Katy covered hoppers are hard to beat. Available in 6 numbers! SKU 21028
– TLDX “Ex-MKT Restencil” 1988+ shows an MKT-painted car that has been returned to Pullman-Standard from its original MKT lease. Now wearing TLDX reporting marks, the ex-MKT cars continued to work through the 1980s. The model features a weathered red body color (compared to the delivery MKT red car color) and is a study in era-specific small lettering. The original side and end MKT reporting marks and car number are patched out and replaced with TLDX stencil graphics. The CAPY line has been carefully painted out, correct for the 1988 era. The car was reweighed by the Katy’s Ray Yard scale (Denison, TX) in 1984. An accurate horizonal style COTS stencil has been applied by the MKT in the 1970s. The original Apex-style crossover platforms were damaged, replaced with unpainted galvanized Morton-style parts. The roof hatches have also been swapped out to a smooth replacement style. This great example of 1980s-early 1990s railroading is available in one accurate number. SKU 21029-01
– SIRX “Ex-MKT Restencil” 1994+ pushes an ex-MKT car well into the 1990s. Now leased by Southern Illinois Railcar, this prototype car is starting to show its age. Replicated on the model is a further-weathered red color compared to the (MKT red and TLDX Ex-MKT red cars) along with several accurate patches. Check out that MKT “ghost” lettering showing on the side of the car. The MKT prototype car received a replacement ACI label, and we have duplicated the new location as well as an MKT-Parson, KS applied COTS panel in 1977. Each side of this car is different, to correctly reproduce the various patches and original versus stencil lettering data variations. Equipped with 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks with truck-mounted brake details and rotating Brenco-6 caps, this car is ready for the 1994+ modelers in the room. Available in one accurate number. SKU 21030-01
– Canadian National CN “ex-WC Conspicuity 2008+” replicates a group of CN red cars for the modern era. The Wisconsin Central inherited its PS4427s in the form of ex-MILW cars at the 1987 startup of the railroad. WC PS4427s survived all this time, and many were repainted by CN at the former IC Centralia, IL car shop. (Recall that the CN took control of the WC in 2001.) These cars feature conspicuity striping on the sides and ends. Each of the four car numbers is visually different, with photo-specific application of data, logo, conspicuity stripes and jacking pad details. The cars retain their ex-MILW build features, like solid end running board supports and center sill supports between the bays. The ends feature replacement style Morton crossover platforms and replacement smooth roof hatches. Available in 4 different and accurate numbers. SKU 21031
– CCLX “Corn Products Delivery 1967” wears the light gray paint of a car leased to Corn Products Company/Crystal Car Line. This small group of 16 cars feature the 1967 details of the PS4427, including the square-step style on the corner ladders and center sill supports between the bays. The distinctive “Corn Products Company” lettering style is reproduced carefully on this car, along with the accurate Pullman-style data. The model is equipped with 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks with correct truck-mounted cylinder details on the brake beams along with accurate (and rotating!) Hyatt caps. Available in 4 numbers! SKU 21032
– NAHX “Morton Salt 6-1969” shows an interesting example of cars for North American Car Corporation’s lease fleet. This group is leased to Morton Salt Company by NAHX and the cars carry an interesting mix of dates: Built in 4-69, a liner applied for salt service in 5-69 and a NEW date of 6-1969! Of course, this accurate data is all shown in the prototype photo on the website. If you look closely, you can see the white/red/black North American Car Co. badge and trust plate. The bays are equipped with Youngstown EZ-Roll gravity gates. NAHX cars are always interesting because of their mix of lettering styles and Lessee logos. This is a great example of private leased covered hoppers carrying a non-grain commodity. Available in 6 numbers. SKU 21033
– TLDX “Delivery Cargill 7-1967” shows a classic private leasing delivery scheme, with the large round Cargill placard filling the side of the car. This car features all of the Pullman phase details for the era, including center sill supports between the bays, open end running board supports, Miner gravity gates and ribbed-style roof hatches. The model is equipped with 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks with separately applied brake beams along with rotating Timken caps. This big lease scheme is available in 6 numbers. SKU 21034
– Undecorated KIT gives the kit builders a little bit of love. We get it — sometimes you just want to build your own model, paint a scheme we have yet to offer, or weather your car prior to decaling to preserve the stenciling. This is an unassembled and unpainted kit to build a Pullman Standard 4427cf high side covered hopper. Multiple parts options are included to handle outlet gates, roof hatches, brake wheels, corner steps and crossover platforms. This kit includes Tangent 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks with rotating Timken caps and CNC-machined 36” wheels. You supply your own favorite couplers. SKU 21000-01
– Undecorated RTR without Jacking Pads provides an assembled car ready for your own paint scheme. Sometimes you just want to apply your own paint scheme. This is a fully assembled and unpainted RTR Pullman Standard 4427cf high side covered hopper. The model is equipped without jacking pads, original ribbed style roof hatches, Apex style crossover platforms and running board, square style corner steps, Miner outlet gates and open style end running board supports. This kit includes Tangent 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks with rotating Timken caps and CNC-machined 36” wheels. You supply your own favorite couplers. SKU 21005-01
– Undecorated RTR with Jacking Pads provides an assembled car ready for your own paint scheme. Sometimes you just want to apply your own paint scheme. This is a fully assembled and unpainted RTR Pullman Standard 4427cf high side covered hopper. The model is equipped with jacking pads, original ribbed style roof hatches, Apex style crossover platforms and running board, square style corner steps, Miner outlet gates and open style end running board supports. This kit includes Tangent 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks with rotating Timken caps and CNC-machined 36” wheels. You supply your own favorite couplers. SKU 21006-01
The Tangent Scale Models Pullman-Standard PS-2CD 4427 High Side Covered Hoppers are shipping NOW. See https://www.tangentscalemodels.com/pullman-standard-ps-2-4427-high-side-covered-hopper/ for photos and more.
Features for our PS PS-2CD 4427 High Side Covered Hopper replicas include:
• Dimensional accuracy – designed from Pullman-Standard plans and verified with field measurements
• Highly correct “true to life” colors
• “Hyper-Accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement
• “Near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail
• Multiple road numbers for each scheme where appropriate
• “See through” running boards
• Etched metal crossover platforms
• Road-specific details for each scheme: 6 different outlet gates (that’s right!), 2 different sets of roof hatches, 2 different running board end supports, jacking pad/tow loop options, 2 different crossover platform options, 2 different end ladder options, 2 different brake wheels, 2 different side air line options and 2 different center sill options. (Whew!)
• Beautiful details – wire ladder rungs, wire grab irons, and wire coupler lift bars – no “molded in” plastic grab irons anywhere!
• Separate air hoses
• Precision Tangent Scale Models 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks with roadname-specific rotating bearing caps and separate brake beam part
• CNC-machined 36” wheels with accurate front and back profile detail
• Replacement 36” semi-scale wheels for our “rotating bearing cap” trucks are available separately from Tangent in either blackened or nickel-silver finish
• Genuine Kadee® scale “scale-head” couplers
• Recommended age 14 years and older
Do not miss out on the Tangent Scale Models Pullman-Standard PS-2CD 4427 High Side Covered Hopper, a pivotal cog in the Pullman-Standard catalog of covered hoppers. Pricing for these RTR models is $52.95.
That wraps up our update for today, and thank you for supporting the family-owned businesses in our industry!