March 15, 2018
The Pullman-Standard PS-2CD 4750 covered hopper was the largest production covered hopper design in history, and is therefore statistically important to virtually any modeler from the 1970s to the present. Tangent Scale Models continues the evolution of our PS4750 models, and we are pleased to announce the next release of the industry-leading HO Scale PS-2CD 4750 covered hopper. This ALL NEW body variation with solid side posts focuses on the early production cars with their associated production trends and car details, including brake systems.
We are now announcing our stunning PS4750 models in these six roadnames (plus undecorated), and they will begin shipping today. Prototype photos can be found on the Tangent website. The six schemes from this release include:
– Illinois Central Gulf (ICG) “Original 12-1973” which represents models from ICG’s order of PS4750s produced in December 1973 as lot 9687. We continue our ongoing ICG releases, this time with earlier details compared to our previous releases. Specific correct car appliances are included for ICG as well, including the brake system, Portloc outlet gates, and Gypsum running boards, to name a few. And of course we include the car number on the underframe, a standard ICG stenciling practice. Our new ICG replicas are available with 12 road numbers!
– Milwaukee Road (MILW) “Original Yellow 7-73” is now available painted in the classic Milwaukee “Federal Yellow” carbody, with the large spelled out “The Milwaukee Road” on the side of the car. These beautiful replicas come with the “America’s Resourceful Railroad” placard, and plenty of other detailed stenciling as found on the prototype cars. These Milwaukee Road replicas from PS lot 9675 are available now with 12 road numbers! Don’t miss out on “America’s Resourceful Railroad!”
– CRDX “Green Lease 1973” is a “Chicago Freight Car Leasing Company” leasing car that represents a nationwide roamer assigned to various services. It is one of the “plain” cars that our customers ask for; it is important to note that in the 1960s and 1970s, many of the leaser cars were various colors, and not only gray. This CRDX car series was painted green and lasted into the 2010s in original paint! We offer this scheme in 3 road numbers.
– PTLX “COOP Yetter IA 1973” is our private elevator offering in this release of PS4750s. This car is a stunner and shows the depth of our PS4750 tooling. This leaser car for Yetter IA (located on the Illinois Central mainline to Council Bluffs) is still running around today, and still shows its “baby blue” car coloring! Our offering for this scheme wears its original its original Pullman-Standard livery, complete with the COOP white, black, red, and blue logo on a placard. Our cars come with accurate yellow brakewheels and warning stenciling, as well as red roof grab irons. Our PTLX Yetter Iowa coop cars are available with 2 total road numbers.
– PTLX “E&M Grain 1973” is the first of two grain purchaser schemes we are offering in this run of PS4750s. These cars are in an attractive light green scheme with black underframe details typical of PTLX cars from the 1970s wearing original paint. Photos of these cars show them in service East of Mississippi including in Eastern Canada prior to the mid-1980s, as well as on western roads in the 1990s and later. These stunners are available in 2 road numbers.
– UTCX “GTA Grain Mark. 3-74” is the second of our grain purchaser paint schemes, accurately executed with the correct gray carbody with bright red shipper stenciling. This car has the distinctive “GTA Grain Marketing” logos in each of the corners of the car, and proper UTCX reporting marks for this series of 1974-delivered cars. These cars come ready to operate in 3 road numbers.
The Tangent PS4750 is a state of the art, dimensionally-accurate scale replica with highly accurate “true-to-life” colors and precise letter stencils. Our PS4750 offers a multitude of detail variations and phases to replicate the Pullman-Standard offerings. Example variations include: body shells with or without holes in the side posts, brake systems, outlet gates, roofs, roof hatches, roof overhangs, running boards, crossover platforms, end ladders, jacking pads, brakewheel housings, and brakewheels. This replica includes our fine “near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail. Our ready-to-operate replica is finished with coupler lift bars accompanying Kadee® scale couplers and sufficient hidden weights to ensure the model operates as good as it looks. At more than 100 parts per car, not to mention phase accurate details, genuine Kadee couplers, and all-metal wheels, we provide you with a high-value model that will provide you with years of enjoyment and curb-appeal.
These products are shipping today! Features for these replicas include:
– Dimensional accuracy – designed from Pullman-Standard plans and verified with field measurements
– Highly correct “true to life” colors
– “Hyper-Accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement
– Genuine Kadee® scale couplers
– “Near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail
– Multiple road numbers for each scheme
– “See through” etched metal running boards and crossover platforms (in one of 6 possible variations)
– Road-specific details for each scheme, including 7 different brake systems, 3 different outlet gates, 3 different sets of roof hatches, 4 jacking pad sets, with or without shaker brackets, 2 roof overhangs, 3 different running board and crossover platform options, end ladders options, 7 brakewheel housing and clevis options, and 2 brakewheel options.
– Beautiful details – wire grab irons and coupler lift bars – no “molded in” plastic grab irons here!
– Separate air hoses
– CNC-machined 36” wheels in high quality Tangent Scale Models 100-ton trucks
– Recommended age 14 years and older
Don’t miss out on the Tangent Scale Models PS4750, the most relevant freight car of the 1970s! Pricing for RTR models is $44.95, with quantity discounts for direct purchases from Tangent Scale Models.
That wraps up our update for today, and thank you for supporting the family-owned businesses in our industry!