Live from the Western Prototype Modelers Meet in San Bernadino CA!
Tangent Scale Models is pleased to announce new paint schemes for our HO Scale General American 4180 “Airslide” covered hopper. First released by Tangent in 2015, our GATC 4180 Airslide covered hopper continues our long-standing focus on beautiful detailing, consistent colors and stenciling, excellent operating abilities, and phase detailing. When you factor in the quality of detailing and execution out of the box against your modeling time, Tangent provides a better value than train set alternatives that have fewer parts and missing stencil markings.
Our April 2018 production of General American 4180 covered hoppers includes the following 3 RTR paint schemes – plus undec RTR and undec kits options so you can “build your own masterpiece.”
– SP “Gray Repaint 1976” is an instant classic. While the car body received a new coat of SP gray paint, shop personnel carefully masked most of the existing data lettering, resulting in a curious mix of original, reweighed, and fresh 1976 stencils. This is an earlier production GATC car, complete with the high-mounted power brake, and big bold “Southern Pacific” lettering. Of course, our Airslides include all the fine lettering the cars should have, just like the prototype. These SP classics are available in two road numbers.
– SSW Cotton Belt “Gray Repaint 1976” represents another car for 1970s railroading. Beautifully rendered “Cotton Belt” bold lettering and all the little detail lettering you expect. Look closely – this is the Cotton Belt’s second order of 4180 Airslides from 1965, with the high-mounted power brake and correct SSW H-100-13 car class exactly where you would expect to find them. These St. Louis Southwestern cars are available in 2 road numbers.
– UP Union Pacific “Original 1973” represents an original GATX-painted car delivered to the Union Pacific in 1973. Oh, that classy Aluminum paint – what else can you say? Complete red data with all the little stencil marks will make any Union Pacific modeler proud. We finish the scheme off with attention to details like plate-mounted ACI labels and silver trucks, just like the prototype. These Union Pacific replicas are available in 3 road numbers.
The Tangent Scale Models GATC 4180s are shipping now. Features for our replicas include:
– Dimensional accuracy – designed from actual General American plans and verified with field measurements
– Highly correct “true to life” colors
– “Hyper-Accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement
– Genuine Kadee® scale couplers
– “Near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail
– Multiple road numbers for each scheme
– “See through” etched metal running boards
– A series of various spotting variations that replicate cars from General American’s prolific 1965-1980 production period, including different roofs, running boards, body side post (“rib”) profiles, high and low brake arrangements on the B end, different ladder and grab iron arrangements, with or without crossover platforms and handrails, etc. Sell off the toy trains and save your time – we do freight cars right.
– Lacy details installed and painted – wire grab irons and coupler lift bars
– Separate air hoses
– CNC-machined 36” wheels in high quality Tangent Scale Models trucks, with semi-scale wheels available separately
– Recommended age 14 years and older
Don’t miss out on the Tangent Scale Models General American 4180 Airslide covered hopper, one of the most sought-after freight cars from the turbulent 1960s-1970s period, done right with phase variations! Pricing for RTR models is $44.95.
That wraps up our update for today and thank you for supporting the family-owned businesses in our industry!
Tangent Scale Models
PO Box 6514
Asheville NC 28816