It’s time for more Covered Hoppers! Tangent Scale Models announces the availability today of new paint schemes for our industry-leading HO Scale PS4750 Covered Hopper models.
The Pullman-Standard PS-2CD 4750 covered hopper was the largest production covered hopper design in history, and is therefore statistically important to virtually any modeler from the 1970s to the present. Tangent Scale Models continues the evolution of our “phased approach” PS4750 models, not “one-size fits all” models. This release reintroduces our body variations from 1978-1980 production, which include open-hole side posts, both large and small jacking pad tabs at the bolsters, and other production trends and car details, including brake systems.
Our July 2022 production includes eight total private and railroad schemes, plus the return of two Undecorated RTR and kit options.
– ATSF “Delivery Gray 10-1979” is now available in the distinguished light gray paint with light blue “Santa Fe” lettering. This light gray scheme is very different from the previous Tangent ATSF offerings! The Santa Fe GA-905 class were built by Pullman Standard and leased from North American Car Corporation. Check out that sharp red/white/blue NACC badge! Featured details include prototypically accurate body-mounted brake hardware and scale-sized Miner “Selflok” outlet gates. We didn’t stop there. This car is loaded with accurate Pullman-applied ATSF graphics and data. From the distinctive narrow style Roman numbers to individual North American Car Corp. car serial numbers on the center sill – it’s all there. We are proud to offer these ATSF replicas in 12 road numbers.
– IC Gray Repaint w/Logo 1997+ continues our tradition of gorgeous IC models, and this is our first time we have offered the PS4750 in “New” IC gray paint! When the ICG “unplugged” the “G” in 1987 and reemerged as a slimmer core railroad, a “New Image” IC gray color scheme was introduced for the freight car fleet. The scheme went through some minor changes over the years, but as Centralia accelerated the repaints, a logo was added, and that is where we pick up the story with our 1997+ Tangent offering. Features for this IC model include accurate body-mounted brake hardware details with center tube linkage and “smooth” style roof hatches. Relevant and accurate, this is another critical car for those of you modeling “New IC” or CN era grain cars anywhere in the last 25 years. These stunners are now available in 12 road numbers.
– LN Family Lines “Original 12-1980” is another all-new offering in this run. Championed by Family Lines and CSX modelers alike, this is an exciting offering for us. Built in 1980, the L&N cars have those distinctive wider jacking tabs associated with much (but not all!) of Pullman’s late production. The center sill correctly models the brake linkage “access holes” on one side of the car, just like the real ones. Notice the side posts – they are the proper “closed hole” style at the bottom. This matches the L&N order exactly. Our 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks are beige to match the body paint. This is a big scheme, and we know the Family Lines modelers have been very patient. Our L&N beige masterpieces are offered in your choice of 12 different road numbers.
– SCL Family Lines “Original 7-1980” complements our L&N Family Lines offering in this run. This SCL order was built just before the L&N 1980 group, and you might assume that they are the same; they share the same late Pullman build features like wide jacking pads. But there is one big difference: notice that the SCL body features the “open hole” cut-out at the bottom of every side post while the L&N cars feature “closed hole” solid posts. The Tangent PS4750 is the only model on the market to match these Family Lines features: Side Posts, jacking pads, brake system, roof hatches, etc. Tangent has got you covered! We proudly offer these SCL Family Lines replicas in 12 road numbers.
– SLSF “Delivery Gray 6-1977” replicates Frisco’s 1977 Pullman Standard order. This group features ribbed roof hatches, body-mounted brake linkage between the bays and a center-tube train air line. The SLSF graphics are sharp – check out the Frisco’s Roman-style lettering for the CAPY data. We take great pride in getting this lettering right. From the Frisco name, the reporting marks, and every single piece of data down to that tiny PPG paint stencil in the corner. This is Tangent-Accurate artwork. Frisco modelers, we have your back. And don’t forget: These cars had long lives after Frisco, with SLSF gray paint examples evading the BN and BNSF paint brushes well into the 2000s. Our SLSF replicas are available now with 12 road number choices.
– SOO “Original 1-1980” brings back a popular PS4750 paint scheme. We offered a different 1979 group of SOO cars about 8 years ago (!) and ever since, our mailbox has been full of requests for MORE SOO. We are very pleased to finally offer another SOO lot, this time from the 400-car 1980 Pullman group. These covered hoppers feature truck mounted brake beams, a side-mount train air line and scale-sized Miner “Selflok” outlet gates. Painted in that special shade of “Soo Line White” (Soo modelers know exactly what we mean), the models show off the classic yellow wheat stalk graphics and green SOO LINE roadname. An accurate and critical car for SOO and CP Rail modelers and lovers of the PS4750 everywhere, our SOO replicas are in stock with 12 different numbers.
– NAHX “Lapeyrouse 6-78” is one of the private leased offerings in this release of PS4750s. This car is a stunner with its correct NAHX gray hyper-accurate lettering and data. Built as part of the NAHX lease fleet, these cars feature body-mounted brake linkage routing between the bays, a center-tube train air line and Morton walkways. This is a very sharp looking car. The details list finishes with “early” Miner outlet gates and “Brenco-3” rotating caps on those gorgeous 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks. Our NAHX Lapeyrouse replica is available with 4 road numbers. Don’t miss out, these will go fast!
– PLCX “Gray Lease 3-1979” answers the call for “plain gray” Pullman Standard 4750 Covered Hoppers. Pullman’s own lease fleet traveled far and wide and “fit in” almost anywhere. This PLCX group of cars was built with center tube brake linkage and a side-mounted train air line. The cars also feature Miner “Selflok” outlet gates. With a plain gray scheme like this, it is important to get all of that lettering right, i.e “Tangent Accurate.” So get out that magnifying glass, we don’t mind. Not only can you read all of the fine data — you can also sleep soundly knowing that it is accurate down to the Polyclutch liner data and the Cargill Inc. Lessee stencil. Our plain gray cars always seem to go fast, so don’t miss out on these 6 numbers!
– Undecorated RTR Unpainted 1980 Version continues our dedication to the modelers. We get it—sometimes you just want to paint your own car. We are modelers too, and we understand the need to continue to offer undecorated products without drama. This car is completely assembled and unpainted! It is based on a 1980 built car, featuring the open hole side post body, large lift tabs at the bolsters, body mounted brakes, Morton running boards, Miner “Selflok” outlet gates and “Brenco-3” roller bearing caps. Fun fact: Hey CSX modelers – this is a great starting point for the ex-SCL 1980 cars in CSX paint jobs! This model is ready for painting and lettering in a prototype or your own private road.
– Undecorated KIT 1980 Version provides modelers with a great option if you want to build or customize a car for a particular modeling project. It has details for a 1980 built car, featuring the open hole side post body, large lift tabs at the bolsters, body mounted brakes, Morton running boards, Miner “Selflok” outlet gates and “Brenco-3” roller bearing caps. This kit includes trucks and wheels. You supply your own favorite couplers.
All of these models can be seen at www.tangentscalemodels.com !
The Tangent PS4750 is a state of the art, dimensionally-accurate scale replica with highly accurate “true-to-life” colors and precise letter stencils. Our PS4750 system of models offers a multitude of detail variations and phases to replicate the many different Pullman-Standard offerings. Example variations include: body shells with or without holes in the side posts, brake systems, outlet gates, roofs, roof hatches, roof overhangs, running boards, crossover platforms, end ladders, jacking pads, brakewheel housings, and brakewheels. This replica includes our fine “near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail. Our ready-to-operate replica is finished with coupler lift bars accompanying Kadee® scale couplers and sufficient hidden weights to ensure the model operates as good as it looks. At more than 100 parts per car, not to mention phase accurate details, genuine Kadee couplers, and all-metal wheels, we provide you with a high-value model that will provide you with years of enjoyment and curb-appeal.
These products are shipping today! A quick synopsis of our 1979-1980 era and railroad-specific detail variations include:
• Dimensional accuracy – designed from Pullman-Standard plans and verified with field measurements
• Highly correct “true to life” colors
• “Hyper-Accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement
• Genuine Kadee® scale couplers
• “Near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail
• Multiple road numbers for each scheme
• “See through” etched metal running boards and crossover platforms (in 6 possible combinations)
• Road-specific details for each scheme, including 7 different brake systems, 3 different outlet gates, 3 different sets of roof hatches, 4 jacking pad sets, with or without shaker brackets, 2 roof overhangs, 3 different running board and crossover platform options, end ladders options, 7 brakewheel housing and clevis options, and 2 brakewheel options.
• Beautiful details – wire grab irons and coupler lift bars – no “molded in” plastic grab irons here!
• Separate air hoses
• CNC-machined 36” wheels
• Our precision Tangent Scale Models 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks with prototype-specific rotating bearing caps (four possible options!) and separate brake beam part (2 possible options!)
• Recommended age 14 years and older
Don’t miss out on the Tangent Scale Models PS4750, the most relevant freight car of the 1970s-1980s period! Pricing for RTR models is $52.95, with quantity discounts for direct purchases from Tangent Scale Models.