Asheville, North Carolina: In 2007, Tangent Scale Models started the trend of offering unparalleled railroad freight car replicas in HO scale, the likes of which had never been seen in the market. These highly-detailed replicas have consistently raised the bar for HO scale models with several hallmarks, including precision tooling, hyper-accurate stenciling, true to life colors, and era-specific details.
Additionally, our models are designed to operate perfectly by including CNC-machined wheels, correct weights, and correct coupler heights. Simply put: We offer detailed freight cars – and cabooses – on the highest level. Our motto: Unparalleled scale replicas for discriminating railroad modelers.
Today we are announcing our first “Tangent quality” O scale brass offering. That’s right – O scale! We bring our passion and knowledge for translating real 1:1 railroad equipment to our friends and fellow modelers in O scale. Our goal is to provide you a different product out of the box – one that is fully Ready-To-Run and accurate like our HO scale products – this includes full assembly, paint, and lettering. Our O Scale Brass Tangent Scale Models GATC 6,000 Gallon 3-Compartment tank car is a visually distinctive model that includes intricate underframe details such as full brake piping, outlet caps and chains, truck brake beams, and different brake wheel hardware for each paint scheme. Also note our “true-to-life” colors and “hyper-accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement. Finally, our scale replicas operate as well as they look, equipped with free-rolling all-metal wheels (with hidden ball-bearings) inside our new Brass Tangent 50-Ton “spring-plank” truck, plus genuine Kadee® #740 O Scale Type E couplers. Our models are truly ready to run – no paint or decals required! Our O scale products are ready to operate (and weather if you are so inclined).
Our tank car replicas are hand-crafted in brass in Republic of Korea by SamModel and are offered in both O scale 2-Rail and Proto-48 configurations – your choice!
General American Transportation Corporation (GATC) produced the 3-compartment 6,000 gallon tank car on the “Type 30” riveted underframe from 1928 to 1942. These tank cars lasted for more than 40 years, in service well into the 1970s. While GATC constructed many different tank designs, one of the more common derivations was this 6,000 gallon car. The three-compartment design allowed consignees to receive up to three different grades of products, such as oils or chemicals. This was important in manufacturing facilities, for example, where multiple lubricating oil types could be received in smaller quantities, but using one car. It also could mean a ”multiple-stop” waybill event for a car on your layout, where the car is unloaded in more than one spot location.
Tangent’s O Scale Brass GATC 6,000 Gallon 3-Compartment tank car replicas are AVAILABLE TODAY directly from Tangent Scale Models in limited quantities, and include the following six schemes (in both O Scale 2-Rail and Proto-48 configurations) plus painted unlettered options, listed in original era order:
– COSX “Cosden & Co. Tulsa OK” 1929+ shows off some billboard lettering. Cosden & Company (Mid-Continent Petroleum Company) ordered these cars in the striking “black lease 1929+” scheme with “Cosden & Company Petroleum Products, Tulsa, Okla” stenciled on the side of the car. This scheme represents tank cars that were in service beginning in 1929. We are offering this scheme in three road numbers! (SKU OS2R-11518 for O scale 2-Rail and SKU P48-11518 for Proto-48)
– MPCX “Silver and Black 1935” illustrates an eye-catching silver model! MPCX (Magnolia Petroleum Company) purchased a series of these cars from General American’s Sharon PA plant in 1935. Magnolia ordered these tank cars with bright silver-painted tanks, with black underframe. These eye-catching cars are offered in your choice of three road numbers. (SKU OS2R-11517 for O scale 2-Rail and SKU P48-11517 for Proto-48)
– GATX “Celanese” Green 1952+ replicates GATX (General American Transportation) lease cars that were painted and stenciled in the bold “Celanese Chemicals” lease scheme. GATC painted these in Sharon PA in 1952. These sharp green cars with red and white graphics were assigned to chemical service for Celanese, and we are offering this scheme in three road numbers! (SKU OS2R-11510 for O scale 2-Rail and SKU P48-11510 for Proto-48)
– GATX “Black Lease” 1958+ represents GATX (General American Transportation) lease cars that were painted and stenciled in the striking “black lease 1958+” scheme with a 2-58 paint date on the side of the car. This GATX black lease scheme represents a car that was in service between 1958 and approximately 1968, and is suitable for modelers of literally any prototype! We are offering this scheme in three road numbers! (SKU OS2R-11511 for O scale 2-Rail and SKU P48-11511 for Proto-48)
– GATX “Black Lease” 1968+ gives modelers of the 1968 and later “ACI label” era something to talk about. These models are GATX (General American Transportation) lease cars that were painted and stenciled in the striking “black lease 1968+” scheme with an 8-68 paint date on the side of the car, which is the subject of a prototype photo of a car taken in 1974! Yes, these cars really lasted in service that long, complete with ACI labels! This GATX black lease scheme represents a car that was in service after 1968, and is suitable for modelers of literally any prototype! We are offering this scheme in three road numbers! (SKU OS2R-11512 for O scale 2-Rail and SKU P48-11512 for Proto-48)
– PDAX “Protex Industries” 1969+ is a great example of a late billboard paint scheme applied to a pre-World War II tank car. Our PDAX (Protex Industries, Inc.) tank car is available with a black carbody, with the large “Protex Industries” plus its associated logo stenciled on the side of the car in red and white. Additionally, each of the 3 tank car domes has the Protex logo stenciled on them, just like the prototype. Check out the Tangent website for a prototype photo of these cars, which feature a 1969 paint date. Our models are available in two road numbers. (SKU OS2R-11520 for O scale 2-Rail and SKU P48-11520 for Proto-48)
– Undecorated RTR Black No Stenciling offers support to the modelers who want to paint and letter their own models. These are Ready-To-Run models that are already painted black and are ready for decals. (SKU OS2R-11520 for O scale 2-Rail and SKU P48-11520 for Proto-48)
All of these models can be seen at www.tangentscalemodels.com!
These 3-Dome tank cars are shipping today! Features for these replicas include:
– Dimensional accuracy
– Fully riveted body
– Fully riveted underframe
– Separately applied tank handrail, grab irons and ladders
– Stunning dome hatches and safety valves
– Heater line and outlet drain details, including correct side profile between tank and underframe when viewing the car from the side
– Full AB brake detail, brake rods, retainer, release rod and air line
– Visible wood grain detail on the brass walkways
– Dimensionally-correct hazardous placards and route boards
– Highly correct “true to life” colors
– “Hyper-Accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement
– Genuine Kadee® #740 O Scale Type E couplers
– Accurate and draft gear box
– Road-specific brakewheels for each paint scheme including correct square-profile shaft
– Multiple road numbers for each paint scheme
– Free-rolling wheels with internal hidden ball-bearings
– Beautifully-painted 33” wheels with accurate front and rear face profile and exposed “shiny” tread
– Tangent Scale Models-own fully-sprung 50-Ton “spring-plank” truck
– Recommended age 14 years and older
Don’t miss out on the Tangent Scale Models O Scale Brass GATC 6,000 Gallon 3-Compartment tank car. Pricing for these O scale Brass fully assembled, painted, and stenciled RTR models is $524.95 and these extremely limited-run pieces are ONLY available directly from Tangent Scale Models.