Celebrate summer with some unique flat car models! Available for purchase NOW!
Tangent Scale Models is pleased to announce the availability today of our General Steel Castings (GSC) 60’0” Flatcar in HO scale. A car of tremendous versatility, these cars served nationwide in service on many railroads starting in 1956, and thanks to the sturdy cast steel frame construction of these cars these cars served in a multitude of services including lumber, wallboard, poles, and heavy equipment services, to name a few. These flatcars were often photographed hauling “wrecked” cars, and many still operate today in various company service roles. GSC, located in Granite City IL, supplied either complete cars or cast steel flatcar bodies to various railroads. Railroads that elected to purchase only the bodies would then equip the cars with components preferred for projected service.
Our new flatcar is a unique addition to your freight car fleet. Our cars are weighted to run. Check them out now in these 8 very sharp RTR schemes:
– Burlington Northern (BN) “Cascade Green” in the repaint 1985 scheme with white stencils on a green carbody, with white delineators on the stake pockets, available in 6 road numbers.
– Great Northern (GN) “Original 1963” in beautiful glacier green paint, available in 3 road numbers. These cars were delivered to GN from GSC in GN’s classic glacier green scheme for service throughout the 1960s. You have to love the stenciling on this one!
– Illinois Central Gulf (ICG) in the repaint “1977 Orange” paint scheme – painted in McComb, Mississippi – with black stencils on an orange carbody, with white delineators on the stake pockets, available in 6 road numbers.
– Missouri Pacific (MP) “Eagle and Buzzsaw” 1981 repaint – with the screaming eagle beautifully rendered. This car is a stunner, don’t miss it! Available in six road numbers. MP was a large user of these flatcars and they wandered far and wide. Check out the photo of a real car on TSM’s site – taken in California!
– Missouri Pacific (MP) “UP MOW Green post-2005” in the UP 1980’s MOW paint scheme. Back by popular demand in four new road numbers, it includes many different black and white stencils, plus paint outs and post-2004 conspicuity stripes on a UP MOW green carbody.
– Missouri Pacific (MP) “UP MOW Green pre-2005” in the UP 1980’s MOW paint scheme. It includes many different black and white stencils, plus paint outs. It does not include conspicuity stripes. This version is available in 4 road numbers. Check this one out!
– Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) in the “Original F47” paint from 1965 with distinctive PRR lettering on a correctly-toned PRR freight car red carbody, available in 6 ALL-NEW road numbers. Back by popular demand!
– Union Pacific (UP) in the “Original 1966” paint scheme with black and red stencils, including the distinctive “CUSHIONED LOAD” spelled out on the armour yellow carbody, available in 6 road numbers.
We studied the prototype to accurately reproduce it with the following features:
– Dimensional accuracy – scaled exactly from General Steel Casting carbody plans
– Highly accurate “true to life” colors
– Exact stencils and lettering placement – compare our replicas to the prototype photos on our website!
– Detail variations: Decking assembly variations, appropriate for each paint scheme
– Detail variations: Oval or no-oval cutouts, appropriate for each paint scheme
– Detail variations: End of car cushioning devices or standard draft gear, appropriate for each paint scheme
– Detail variations: Roller or plain bearing truck variations, appropriate for each paint scheme
– Painted or “gray” decks appropriate for each paint scheme
– Wire grab irons and coupler lift bars
– Air hoses
– Weighted to NMRA specs for smooth operation
– Kadee® scale metal couplers
– Tangent free-rolling metal wheels
– Recommended age 14 years and older.
We have made many small enhancements to these cars since our first run in 2012. Pricing for our new RTR flatcars is $34.95 each, and we offer discounts for quantities of 6, 12, and 24 models. Feel free to “mix and match” your own multi-scheme order, and you can “mix and match” these flatcars with any combination of our other car offerings. Take time today to upgrade your freight car fleet.
Thank you for continuing to support Tangent Scale Models!