Many household appliance brands rode the rails: Admiral, Whirlpool, or Roper, to name a few. Nicknamed “baby hi-cubes” by shippers, railfans, and rail employees alike, the PS-1 40’ “Mini-Hy Cube” boxcars were early examples of purpose-built boxcars, built by Pullman-Standard in Bessemer, AL. At 4900 cubic foot capacity, most of these distinctively small yet tall cars were purchased for appliance loading out of origins in U.S. Midwestern states. Five railroads bought these cars in 1967-1968, and they were sent to destinations all over North America delivering appliances to warehouse receivers and team tracks. Because some of the cars were pooled, any roadname could be consigned to literally any destination, making these cars “nationwide roamers,” meaning you can justify any roadname anywhere. Later in their service lives, most cars were repurposed for paper loading, and by the 1990s many remaining cars were utilized in MOW and other company service roles.
The Tangent Scale Models HO scale PS-1 “Mini-Hy Cube” Boxcar replica was designed and tooled in USA, and the plastic parts were produced in USA. It features a prototypical “slight peak” roof, separate underframe brake components with wire piping, narrow ladders and sill steps, and “see-through” crossover platforms. These replicas include the “near-scale” draft gear that has been standard on all recent Tangent releases, which includes the “side key” detail with Kadee all-metal couplers. Detailed “trombone style” coupler lift bars are also present on our replicas with one of two styles to match the prototype. Finally, the models are equipped with the correct Tangent Barber S-2-A 70-ton roller bearing trucks and 33” CNC-machined wheelsets, so our models look as good as they operate. These small yet tall models are sure to be stunners on your layout!
Our first production includes the following 4 RTR paint schemes – plus undecorated kits.
– CB&Q “Chinese Red 10-67” in original CB&Q Chinese red paint. This car is a stunner with its white diagonal stripe on the door, and your choice of return routes to ATSF Galesburg IL or SLSF Ft Smith AR. The side is proudly stenciled “Hydraulic Cushioning” to draw attention to the cushioned ride the draft gear provides. These cars were built to haul appliances for Admiral and lasted into the 1990s in paper service on BN and make for distinctive cars on any layout. Keep in mind the real cars were pooled, so any roadname can work on your layout! This CB&Q series with accurate October 1967 dates is available in 4 road numbers. Don’t miss out!
– DRGW “Original Brown 1967” in the classic original freight car brown scheme from 1967, with the iconic DRGW logo and spelled out “The Action Road.” These cars have black ends with white paint at the top to denote the excess height. This series of DRGW cars all have a return to EL, Marion OH route stencil and were originally assigned to Whirlpool. Keep in mind the real cars were pooled, so any roadname can work on your layout! These beautiful cars are available in 3 road numbers.
– IC “Original Orange 1967” in the original Illinois Central orange scheme from 1967, with the classic “Split-Rail” logo and “Main Line of Mid-America” stenciling. We know how to do IC correctly! Just like the prototypes, these cars have a “Return to Agent NYC RR Evansville Indiana When Empty” stencil on the side of the car, and were assigned to Whirlpool. Keep in mind the real cars were pooled, so any roadname can work on your layout! This IC series is available in your choice of 4 roadnumbers.
– Milwaukee Road “Original 1968 DF2” in the classic Milwaukee Road box car red with the timeless “The Milwaukee Road” herald. Just like the prototypes, these cars have a “When Empty Return to Agent NYC Evansville Ind” stencil on the side of the car, and were assigned to Whirlpool. The cars also have the correct “DF2” stenciling applied to the door. Keep in mind the real cars were pooled, so any roadname can work on your layout! This MILW series is available in your choice of 4 roadnumbers.
– Unpainted Kit for $36.95 each. This is a box of parts from Tangent, including trucks and wheels, so that you can build your own car to your specifications!
These awesome, ALL-NEW, Tangent Scale Models replicas are shipping now. Features for our RTR replicas include:
– Designed, tooled, and plastic parts produced in USA!
– Dimensional accuracy – designed from actual Pullman-Standard blueprints
– Highly correct “true to life” colors
– “Hyper-Accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement
– Genuine Kadee® scale couplers
– “Near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail
– Multiple road numbers for each scheme
– 2 different draft gear and trombone-style coupler lift bar variations that represent those pesky prototypical details Tangent is known for
– Lacy details – wire grab irons, coupler lift bars, and stand-off ladders and stirrup steps
– “See through” crossover end platforms
– Separate air hoses
– CNC-machined 33” wheels in high quality Tangent Scale Models 70-ton Barber S-2-A Roller Bearing trucks (with semi-scale replacement wheels available separately) with separate brake hangar parts for extra realism
– Recommended age 14 years and older
Even if you do not model one of these four roadnames, you should definitely consider the Tangent PS-1 appliance and paper haulers for your layout. Any roadname(s) would be perfect in a through freight or spotted at a local team tack or appliance distributor industry. Don’t miss out on the Tangent Scale Models Pullman-Standard PS-1 “Mini-Hy Cube” Boxcar, a necessary cog in the unique 1960s box car boom. Pricing for RTR models is $44.95, with quantity discounts for direct purchases from Tangent Scale Models.
That wraps up our update for today, and thank you for supporting the family-owned businesses in our industry!