In 2007, Tangent Scale Models started the trend of offering unparalleled railroad freight car replicas in HO scale, the likes of which had never been seen in the market before. These highly-detailed replicas have consistently raised the bar for HO scale models with several hallmarks, including precision tooling, hyper-accurate stenciling, true to life colors, and era-specific details. Additionally, our models are designed to operate perfectly by including CNC-machined wheels, correct weights, and correct coupler heights. Simply put: We offer detailed freight cars on a higher level.
Fast forward to today’s release: our inaugural “Tangent quality” HO scale caboose offering. The era of “one size fits all” cabooses in HO scale plastic is over. Today, Tangent Scale Models introduces the first in a series of unparalleled HO scale caboose replicas. We bring our passion and knowledge for translating real 1:1 railroad equipment from freight cars to cabooses. And we are taking things a step further, where our penchant for operations is accelerated with accurate marker lighting in era-specific versions!
Our first caboose model is the HO scale B&O Class I-18 Bay Window Caboose, which was B&O’s first foray into non-railroad built cabooses. This fleet of 46 “modern” bay window cabooses were delivered by International Car Co. (ICC), based in Kenton, OH. These were the first welded carbody cabooses on B&O, and they included modern features like full electrical lighting and marker lights, desks and high-back chairs, an oil heater, and roller bearing trucks. The B&O I-18 class was delivered in 1965 and 1966, with most cabooses serving through the B&O and Chessie eras. Most of the fleet survived to see service on CSX.
The I-18 fleet was in an almost constant state of change as they served the B&O. The B&O made equipment changes quickly after taking delivery in 1965 and 1966. Multiple Chessie System paint schemes, including the incredible eight “Safety Cabooses,” would start later in 1973. Exterior lighting and plumbing changes would kick in through the 1970s. The 1980s would bring more repaints, renumbering and further equipment changes. The Tangent ICC B&O I-18 replica follows many of these same paths to execute specific detail and paint combinations. This is not a “one size fits all” caboose, but instead a grouping of era-specific Chessie cabooses!
Tangent’s first release is AVAILABLE TODAY includes the following six schemes plus undecorated options:
– Baltimore & Ohio (B&O) “Original Blue 1968+” replicates the as-delivered paint scheme as applied by International Car Company. All 46 I-18 cabooses originally wore this classic B&O Royal Blue with bold yellow ends and unpainted silver roof. Soon after their 1965-1966 arrival, the B&O made exterior changes for safety including updating the end steps & platform locations, changing railings and adding protective bay window side screens. This is where we start with our model — the 1968+ era, after these changes have been implemented. All of the original 1965 classic white B&O graphics are present, even down to the brake badge and ICC paint stencil. The fully-painted, two-tone green interior is illuminated with (dim!) lights and the scale-size Pyle lanterns are lit as well. We are offering this scheme in four numbers.
– Chessie System (B&O) “1973+ Repaint” gives us one of the most recognizable paint schemes of all time. Starting in 1973, the B&O’s DuBois, Pennsylvania, Shops applied the railroad’s new Chessie System graphics and yellow & blue paint to the I-18 fleet. Orange striping and a silver roof added a sharp finish for the scheme. DuBois paint details included the blue smoke jack and orange paint under the silver roof eaves. Note the “high” application of the Chessie cat logo — so there would be enough room underneath it for the ACI label. This 1973 paint scheme includes era appropriate details like Pyle lanterns and the standard toilet dump pipe. Check out the four individual red reflectors on the end railings! Lighting features include prototypically dim interior lights as well as lit Pyle lanterns. This scheme is available in 4 accurate numbers.
– Chessie System (B&O) “Green Chessie Safety 1973+” is the first of our Safety Scheme offerings. C-3000 was repainted by the B&O DuBois Shops, using a beautiful dark green and silver combination. The caboose features an extra large safety emblem and stacked “BE ALERT, DON’T GET HURT” slogan. If you look closely, the bay window for this model has the correct four extra air vents, just like the prototype. Chessie Safety cabooses ran system wide and were even part of an employee spotting contest in 1974! Lighting features include prototypically dim interior lights as well as lit Pyle lanterns. This scheme is available in one prototypically accurate number: C-3000. Don’t miss it.
– Chessie System (B&O) “White Chessie Safety 1975+” shows another Safety Scheme, with a stunning white and silver combination. “LONG CHANCES SHORTEN LIVES” provides a constant reminder for employee safety. The safety emblem includes the delicate stenciled black outline, just like the prototype. This caboose model is presented in its 1975+ form — note the DuBois Shops addition of the blue toilet retention tank to the underframe, painted-out IDT stencils on the air reservoir, and era-appropriate black and white COTS. Cabooses like this are all about the details: all the way down to the white chlorinator overflow pipe on the toilet retention tank. Lighting features include interior lights as well as lit Pyle lanterns. This scheme is available in one prototypically accurate number: C-3003.
– Chessie System (B&O) “Raceland Repaint 1980+” illustrates one of the I-18 cabooses that received new paint. In 1980, the C&O Raceland, Kentucky, shops repainted the 3019 with a fresh coat of yellow. While the work was being done, the caboose received Chessie-style fixed “box” markers, replacing the small silver Pyle lanterns, as well as a new FRA-approved Star Model 845-F Incandescent Flashing end light. Check out the details of this 1980 Raceland paint job, including the silver smoke jack, silver area under the roof eaves, and distinctive C&O style “3” in the 3019. Notice the slightly lower Chessie cat, since the ACI label is no longer present, and of course, correct COTS lettering per the prototype. Lighting features include prototypically dim interior lights, lit box markers, and red flashing end lights. The FRA flashing red end light is worth noting — it has the correct flash rate and decay of the real thing. No “generic” LED flash here! This scheme is available in one prototypically accurate number: C-3019.
– Chessie System (B&O) “1982+” offers a pair of later Chessie era cabooses. These two I-18 examples are wearing their 1973 Chessie paint jobs but include feature updates to the details matching the prototypes’ 1982+ appearances. Both numbers are slightly different! Caboose 903014 features a slightly weathered Chessie yellow to represent 9 years of fading, and fresh yellow bay window patches from its renumbering to the 6-digit Chessie caboose series. Car 903045 has a similar bay window patches, and also features fresh yellow marker light paint patch areas. Both cabooses exhibit the details of Chessie cabooses that made it to 1982: Updated toilet retention tanks, Chessie “box” style markers, ACI plate removal, COTS and Inspection interval lettering, and of course the FRA red end lights. Lighting features include prototypically dim interior lights, lit box markers, and red flashing end lights. This scheme is available in two accurate numbers: 903014 and 903045.
– Undecorated KIT “Pyle” Marker Lights is a fully unassembled kit version of the earlier 1968+ era B&O ICC I-18 Caboose. This kit features the earlier Pyle lantern plastic parts. This kit is UNLIT — no electronics are included. It is perfect for those who want to build their own cars or want to customize their own lighting circuit options. Ready for painting and lettering for a prototype or your own private road. This kit includes Tangent 70T Gould Roller Bearing trucks with power-pickup and 33″ standard 110 tread CNC wheels. You supply your own favorite couplers.
– Undecorated KIT “Box” Marker Lights is a fully unassembled kit version of the later 1979+ era B&O ICC I-18 Caboose. This kit features the later “box” style markers and FRA red end light plastic parts. This kit is UNLIT — no electronics are included. It is perfect for those who want to build their own cars or want to customize their own lighting circuit options. Ready for painting and lettering for a prototype or your own private road. This kit includes Tangent 70T Gould Roller Bearing trucks with power-pickup and 33″ standard 110 tread CNC wheels. You supply your own favorite couplers.
All of these models can be seen by clicking here!
The Tangent Scale Models B&O I-18 Bay Window Caboose is a state of the art, dimensionally accurate scale replica with highly accurate “true-to-life” colors and precise letter stencils. This caboose has never been offered before – in brass, resin, or plastic! Our B&O I-18 caboose was designed from meticulous field dimensions, and includes incredible levels of detail such as Waugh Cushion Underframe, brake system, battery box, toilet pipe, rooftop vents, caboose window treatments accurate for the era of the caboose, plus beautiful see-through steps, end platforms, and running board. Inside the model is an accurately painted ICC-applied interior including the sink, toilet, oil heater, bunks, and desks. Our caboose includes interior lighting, plus marker light options that are appropriate for the RTR paint scheme offered. We offer “no fuss” track-powered exterior marker lights as appropriate for the prototype, and our cabooses are compatible with DC or DCC setups right out of the box (a simple wand included in the box activates the lights on each end – and the interior – independently). Finally, our ready-to-operate replica includes “near-scale” draft gear box including side “key” detail, coupler lift bars accompanying Kadee® scale couplers, sufficient hidden weights, and CNC-machined wheels to ensure the model operates as good as it looks.
These cabooses are shipping today! Features for these replicas include:
– Dimensional accuracy – designed from meticulous field dimensions with real tape measures
– Highly correct “true to life” colors
– “Hyper-Accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement
– Genuine Kadee® scale couplers
– “Near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail
– Multiple road numbers for each scheme, as appropriate
– “See through” Apex roof walkway
– “See through” etched metal end platforms and steps
– Unapologetically fine etch metal window screens
– Era-specific body details for each RTR scheme, including 2 different bay windows and 2 different scale-sized marker lights – both Pyle and “box” lights – they are really small!
– The scale-sized marker lights illuminate and can be controlled to be on or off – on each end – independently
– Full ICC Interior – chairs, bunks, desks, lockers, sink and (non-operating) toilet! The interior is accurately and fully-painted with the two-tone green
– The interior is illuminated with (dim!) lights and the scale size Pyle lanterns are lit as well.
– No complicated decoder. No complicated programming. No complicated electronics. DC/DCC compatible track-powered “no fuss” interior and marker light lighting – simple and easy to operate with included wand
– Full underbody details – brake system with brake rods and piping, battery box, electrical plugs and conduit, plumbing detail options, axle generator and more!
– Beautiful side details – wire grab irons, ladder rungs, roof hand holds, and coupler lift bars – no “molded in” plastic grab irons here!
– Separate air hoses with B&O signature platform-level angle cock shutoff handle detail!
– CNC-machined standard RP25 .110” tread 33” wheels (Yes, semi-scale .088” wheels are available separately!)
– All-New precision Tangent Scale Models 70-ton Gould roller-bearing trucks with separate brake beam part
– Recommended age 14 years and older
Don’t miss out on the Tangent Scale Models B&O I-18 Bay Window Caboose, our first release in the Tangent caboose line. Pricing for RTR models is $89.95, with quantity discounts for direct purchases from Tangent Scale Models.
That wraps up our update for today, and thank you for supporting the family-owned businesses in our industry!
Tangent Scale Models