Think of this Tangent Scale Models PS-2CD 4750 (“PS4750″) model as the EMD SD40-2 of covered hoppers. Similar to the SD40-2, Pullman-Standard (“PS”) began production of the 4750 covered hopper in 1972 and was the most popular seller within its peer group with more than 56,000 cars produced (not including thousands of clones from other builders and railroads). The 4750 followed upon the successful “high hip” design of one of Pullman’s earlier designs, the 4740 covered hopper, also offered by Tangent Scale Models. When Pullman ceased production of 4750s in 1981, the amassed fleet was the largest covered hopper fleet of any of builder, and was one of the most prolific productions of a singular design during any era.
Like previous offerings, the Tangent PS4750 is a state of the art, dimensionally-accurate scale replica with highly accurate “true-to-life” colors and precise letter stencils. Our PS4750 offers our most ambitious effort yet to include a multitude of detail variations to replicate the different phases of production and customer specifications. Example variations include: brake systems, outlet gates, roof hatches, jacking pads, roof overhangs, running boards, crossover platforms, end ladders, brakewheel housings, and brakewheels. This replica includes our fine “near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail. Our ready-to-operate replica is finished with coupler lift bars accompanying Kadee® scale couplers and sufficient hidden weights to ensure the model operates as good as it looks.
Our motto is “Unparalleled scale replicas for discriminating railroad modelers”. Features for these PS4750 replicas include:
- Dimensional accuracy – scaled from Pullman-Standard plans and verified with field measurements
- Highly correct “true to life” colors
- “Hyper-Accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement
- Genuine Kadee® scale couplers
- “Near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail
- Multiple road numbers for each scheme
- See through etched metal running boards and crossover platforms (in one of 3 possible variations)
- Road-specific details for each scheme, including 5 different brake systems, 3 different outlet gates, 2 different sets of roof hatches, 4 jacking pad sets, 2 roof overhangs, 3 different running board and crossover platform options, end ladders options, 5 brakewheel housing and clevis options, and 2 brakewheel options.
- Lacy details – wire grab irons and coupler lift bars
- Separate air hoses
- CNC-machined 36” wheels in high quality Tangent Scale Models 100-ton trucks
- Models include customized details applicable to each paint scheme – pneumatic outlet gates or standard outlet gates
- Car number selection process – we select car numbers from online or published sources, focusing on late era numbers to represent 30 years in continuous operation.
- Recommended age 14 years and older
Please click on the images at right for pricing, SKUs, high resolution photos, prototype photos, car number options, and/or to order!