Please click on the images at right for pricing, SKUs, high resolution photos, prototype photos, car number options, and/or to order these HO scale replicas!
During the 1960s, railcar builders experimented with covered hopper designs to satisfy the evolving needs of shippers as they moved away from forty-foot box cars to bulk transport railcars. Pullman’s PS-2 design evolution continued in 1966 when the “Low Side” 4427 was replaced with the “High Side” version. The 4427 “High Side” was visually distinctive with its high slope bays and center of gravity, which sped the unloading process of bulk commodities. The “High Side” 4427 included 13 exterior side posts, similar to its sister car design, the PS-2 4740, which had 16 side posts. Both designs were introduced in 1966, and 4427 “High Side” production ended in 1971 after delivery of approximately 12,000 cars.
The Tangent Scale Models PS4427 “High Side” is a dimensionally-accurate replica of the real car and provides continuity with our other Pullman-Standard covered hoppers, including model design, scheme colors, and stenciling. Our model includes key build variations: stirrup steps, roof hatches, jacking pads, tow loops, discharge gates, and side air lines. This replica includes our “near-scale” draft gear box including side “key” detail. Our ready-to-operate replica is finished with coupler lift bars accompanying Kadee® scale couplers, sufficient hidden weights, and CNC-machined wheels to ensure the model operates as good as it looks.
Our February 2024 production of our Pullman-Standard PS-2CD 4427 High Side Covered Hopper includes SEVEN all-new RTR paint schemes plus TWO undecorated options. Check them out now at www.tangentscalemodels.com
And as usual, all our offerings below feature photos on our website showing the actual model and the prototype cars! Here are our schemes:
– Canadian Pacific CPAA “NA Delivery 1-1970” shows as-delivered gray cars leased from North American Car Corporation to Canadian Pacific. These cars feature the distinctive NAHX Roman-style data lettering that also carries over to the CPAA reporting marks and numbers. The North American Car black/white/red badge down along the sill provides a tiny bit of color to this gray lease scheme. The models come equipped with Youngstown EZ-Roll gravity gates and Apex-style end crossover platforms. With a 1970 build date, these Pullman-Standard lot cars leased to NAHX include center sill supports between the bays and open-style end running board supports. The finely printed capacity data and internal liner data varies between each car number. And yes, don’t worry, these NAHX cars have their accurate serial number stencils along the centersill of the car on each side. Black 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks with accurate (and rotating!) Timken caps finish the model. Available in 12 numbers! SKU 21035
– Milwaukee Road MILW “Delivery 3-1967” wears the classic yellow and black graphics as applied to this 300-car order from Pullman-Standard in 1967. Tangent’s previous run from 2018 featured Milwaukee’s 1968 order of cars with gravity-pneumatic outlet gates. We have carefully replicated the lettering on every panel, bay, and center sill from bold MILWAUKEE ROAD to the tiniest PS lot 9174 stencil number. All the lettering is present and accurate. These cars feature Miner gravity gates and a PS ribbed-style roof hatch. The model also features 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks with rotating Timken caps. Each SKU number varies with CAPY, liner stencil and related Pullan date information. We hear you Milwaukee Road modelers, and your continued requests for more MILW Tangent covered hoppers in our correct shade of Federal Yellow! Available in 12 numbers. Don’t miss out! SKU 21036
– Wisconsin Central WC “Ex-Milwaukee Restencil 1987+” throws a little bit of love to the early days of the Wisconsin Central. The WC startup freight car fleet was a rag-tag group of patched cars. Our WC model features the patches and reweigh data of a 20-year-old MILW car, including MILW 1980s data and the new WC reporting marks for its new owner. The yellow is also a slightly darker shade on the model, to reflect dirt and era-appropriate color changes. Yes, we even applied the accurate WCL Railcars Inc. lessee stencil on the bottom right corner. With an original 1967 built date, these WC Ex-MILW cars follow the details of earlier PS4427 High Side prototypes, including center sill supports between the bays and solid end running board supports. We have also applied replacement roof hatches and Morton-style crossover platforms on each end, modeling its 1980s appearance. This cool example of 1987 Regional Railroading is available in 2 numbers. SKU 21037
– Texas & Pacific TP “Delivery Gray 5-1971” replicates the as-delivered gray of a huge TP order for 500 cars. The prototype cars are late Pullman-Standard 4427 production, so that means they have the 2-step corner stirrups, jacking pads above the trucks and no center sill supports between the bays. These features have been carefully executed on the model. The models are equipped with accurate Keystone Portloc gravity outlet gates along with an Apex running board and end crossover platforms. The TP lettering follows the MP graphics style of the era. TP/MP lettering is distinctive in its “look” and deserves this careful attention in HO. Equipped with gray 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks with body-mounted brake beams and rotating Hyatt caps, these TP covered hoppers are sharp. Available in 6 numbers! SKU 21038
– BN “Logoless Repaint 1988” wears the ultra-simplified BN paint scheme as applied in 1988. If you were trackside in this era, you recall the BN and its variations of simplified Cascade green. This scheme is rather distinctive, with the removal of the big BN logo on the right side of the car. The model features center sill supports between the bays, solid end running board supports and replacement Morton-style crossover platforms. The CAPY and LT WT lines are missing on the car side, correct for this 1988 era. The spartan BN stencil data is carefully replicated on this car, from the truck reporting marks to the warranty stencil on the car side covering the replacement fiberglass covers on the roof. The model is equipped with 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks with body-mounted brake beams and rotating Brenco-3 caps. This great example of late 1980s railroading is available in three numbers. SKU 21039
– TLDX “Delivery Pillsbury 3-1967” shows a very highly-requested private lessee delivery scheme for the Pullman-Standard 4427. The model you already have of this TLDX car is kind of close but isn’t quite right! The Pillsbury billboard lettering fills the side of the car, from the large, outlined letters to the round Pillsbury logo mounted on a square placard. What a classic. This car features all the Pillsbury phase details, including center sill supports between the bays, solid end running board supports, Miner gravity gates and ribbed-style roof hatches. The model is equipped with 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks with separately applied brake beams along with rotating Timken caps. This big lease scheme is available in 6 numbers. SKU 21040
– TLDX “Delivery Yellow Lease 3-1967” wears the popular and common version of the TLDX private leasing yellow. The Pullman leasing lettering is simple, with accurate TLDX reporting marks and data. The side placard adds a bit of “pop” to this scheme, advertising Pullman’s Transport Leasing Division to shippers. These TLDX cars were built in 1967, and that translates to earlier Pullman features like square stirrup steps, center sill supports between the bays, solid end running board supports, Miner gravity gates and ribbed-style roof hatches. The model is equipped with 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks with separately applied brake beams along with rotating Timken caps. This relevant lease scheme is available in 6 numbers, perfect for the 1960s-1980s. SKU 21041
And don’t forget, we still have limited quantities of two undecorated options:
– Undecorated RTR without Jacking Pads provides an assembled car ready for your own paint scheme. Sometimes you just want to apply your own paint scheme. This is a fully assembled and unpainted RTR Pullman Standard 4427cf high side covered hopper. The model is equipped without jacking pads, original ribbed style roof hatches, Apex style crossover platforms and running board, square style corner steps, Miner outlet gates and open style end running board supports and covers the 1966-1969 era. This kit includes Tangent 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks with rotating Timken caps and CNC-machined 36” wheels. You supply your own favorite couplers. SKU 21005-01
– Undecorated RTR with Jacking Pads provides an assembled car ready for your own paint scheme. Sometimes you just want to apply your own paint scheme. This is a fully assembled and unpainted RTR Pullman Standard 4427cf high side covered hopper. The model is equipped with jacking pads, original ribbed style roof hatches, Apex style crossover platforms and running board, square style corner steps, Miner outlet gates and open style end running board supports. This variation covers some of the post-1969 variations. This kit includes Tangent 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks with rotating Timken caps and CNC-machined 36” wheels. You supply your own favorite couplers. SKU 21006-01
The Tangent Scale Models Pullman-Standard PS-2CD 4427 High Side Covered Hoppers are shipping NOW. See https://www.tangentscalemodels.com/pullman-standard-ps-2-4427-high-side-covered-hopper/ for photos and more.
Features for our PS PS-2CD 4427 High Side Covered Hopper replicas include:
• Dimensional accuracy – designed from Pullman-Standard plans and verified with field measurements
• Highly correct “true to life” colors
• “Hyper-Accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement
• “Near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail
• Multiple road numbers for each scheme where appropriate
• “See through” running boards
• Etched metal crossover platforms
• Road-specific details for each scheme: 6 different outlet gates (that’s right!), 2 different sets of roof hatches, 2 different running board end supports, jacking pad/tow loop options, 2 different crossover platform options, 2 different end ladder options, 2 different brake wheels, 2 different side air line options and 2 different center sill options. (Whew!)
• Beautiful details – wire ladder rungs, wire grab irons, and wire coupler lift bars – no “molded in” plastic grab irons anywhere!
• Separate air hoses
• Precision Tangent Scale Models 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks with roadname-specific rotating bearing caps and separate brake beam part
• CNC-machined 36” wheels with accurate front and back profile detail
• Replacement 36” semi-scale wheels for our “rotating bearing cap” trucks are available separately from Tangent in either blackened or nickel-silver finish
• Genuine Kadee® scale “scale-head” couplers
• Recommended age 14 years and older
Do not miss out on the Tangent Scale Models Pullman-Standard PS-2CD 4427 High Side Covered Hopper, a pivotal cog in the Pullman-Standard catalog of covered hoppers. Pricing for these RTR models is $52.95.
Please click on the images at right for pricing, SKUs, high resolution photos, prototype photos, car number options, and/or to order!