PLEASE NOTE: Our Pullman-Standard PS-2 4000 Covered Hopper Cars are now sold out at Tangent Scale Models. To see the cars that are sold out but may be available in shops or on eBay, click here. We are now planning a new production of these Pullman-Standard PS-2 4000 Covered Hoppers, which will happen soon. Stay tuned to this site for more information, and please give us a chance to serve you.
The PS-2CD 4000 cubic foot covered hopper was produced by Pullman-Standard between 1962 and 1964 in the company’s Butler PA shops. These cars led a very long service life, with some remaining in revenue service throughout the US, Canada, and Mexico until the early 2000s. One of the most distinctive Pullman covered hoppers, this common 90/100-ton car was mostly used in grain, malt, fertilizer, and similar bulk services. Here is a Pullman builder photo of a B&O PS4000.
These cars were built during a transitional period for covered hopper design. It was a time when customers were regularly using 40-foot boxcars for bulk commodity movements, and the inefficiencies of hand-loading and unloading boxcars were becoming issues for customers and railroads alike. Customers wanted faster loading and unloading processes, and railroads wanted the cars back sooner. The PS4000 was one of the first successful bulk commodity designs. The most common production version of these cars featured distinctive round hatches on the roof of the car, as seen in this BN repaint project (of a former GN car).
Underneath these round hatch cars were two choices of outlet gates. Some railroads opted for gravity-only outlet gates, as seen on this ATSF car.
Conversely, other railroads opted for gravity-pneumatic combination outlets, as seen on this former CGW car.
Of course, Tangent offers both of these outlet gate versions on our models, appropriate for the paint schemes you choose. With more than 2,000 prototypes placed into service, the Tangent Scale Models HO-scale replica is a perfect addition to your layout or collection.
We also offer undecorated kits and RTR models for those of you that want to build and/or decal your own! We now offer complete car decal sets for ATSF, BN, and CRDX Private lease cars that allow you to transform our undecorated kit into a work of art! These are all available from links under “View and Buy Models” – look for the “Decals” link.
Our motto is “Unparalleled scale replicas for discriminating railroad modelers”. We hope you’ll agree! Our PS-2CD 4000 Covered Hopper replicas include:
- Dimensional accuracy – scaled from Pullman-Standard plans
- Razor-sharp printing and paint separations
- Exact fonts and lettering placement – compare our replicas to the prototype photos!
- Thoroughly-researched colors – check out our CNW Clinton Green!
- Bay lettering where applicable
- “Lacy” end and underframe details
- Thin-profile brake piping
- Air hoses
- Painted, scale-sized wire grabirons for strength and durability
- See-through etched metal running boards and brake platforms
- Nicely-detailed outlet gates (and pneumatic outlet gates added where applicable for roadname-specific details)!
- Kadee® scale metal couplers
- Accurate 100-ton N-11 trucks with free-rolling metal wheels
- Models include customized details applicable to each paint scheme – pneumatic outlet gates or standard outlet gates
- Car number selection process – we select car numbers from online or published sources, focusing on late era numbers to represent more than 35 years in continuous operation.
- Designed and tooled in USA!
- Recommended age 14 years and older
- Model will operate on 18″ radius curves
Please click on the images at right for pricing, SKUs, high resolution photos, prototype photos, car number options, and/or to order!