Asheville, North Carolina: Just in time for the end of year holidays, Tangent Scale Models is pleased to announce the availability today of new paint schemes for our HO Scale PS4750 Covered Hopper models.
The Pullman-Standard PS-2CD 4750 covered hopper was the largest production covered hopper design in history, and is therefore statistically important to virtually any modeler from the 1970s to the present. Tangent Scale Models continues the evolution of our “phased approach” PS4750 models, and we are pleased to announce the next release of the industry-leading HO Scale PS-2CD 4750 covered hopper. This release continues our theme of body variations from 1972-1974 production, which include solid side posts and other production trends and car details, including brake systems.
Additionally, our new run of PS4750 models feature a new 100-ton Barber S-2 truck, complete with “rotating” roller bearing caps, plus separate brake beam parts.
Our December 2019 production includes seven schemes plus undecorated:
– Chessie System (B&O) “Original 7-1973” replicates the 200 car B&O order of PS4750s produced in July 1973. We appreciate how patient the Chessie modelers have been with us over the years, and now we are pleased to offer these cars in stunning Chessie Yellow and Blue paint. Specific correct car appliances are included for B&O cars, including Portloc outlet gates, plate mounted ACI labels, and Gypsum running boards. Check out those orange end pieces on the running board, just like the prototypes! And of course we include the car number on the draft gear, per B&O’s lettering standards. We have installed accurate body mounted brake gear and truck brake beams along with Timken rotating roller bearing caps on the trucks. Our new Chessie cars are available with 12 road numbers!
– CSX “Ex-Chessie Patch” 1988+ shows off the Chessie cars for a later era. CSX modelers get ready — these are for you. This scheme features all of the beautiful Chessie details you would expect, with updated CSX (and Chessie) patch graphics and replacement roof hatches. All you have to do is supply some CSX-era weathering. As always, we provide prototype photos on our website so you can compare the models to the real prototype. These CSX patch cars are offered in 2 prototypically accurate numbers — each car has different data and patches!
– CSX “Early Repaint” 1989+ allows us to finally execute CSX cars. These PS4750s are ex-Chessie (B&O) cars that received full beige paint jobs starting in 1988. Notice the era-correct lack of CAPY lines along with those distinctive early CSX COTS details. We applied replacement roof hatches and replacement Self-lok outlet gates, too. The cars are complete with body mounted brake gear and truck brake beams along with Timken rotating roller bearing caps on the trucks. The CSX Early Repaint cars are offered in 4 road numbers!
– Penn Central (PC) “Original 2-1974” represents cars from their large 300 car 1974 order. These cars represent PC cars from the 2-74 build month with some minute stenciling differences from our original production of PC models in 2013. Correct end brake details are present for a truck-mounted brakes car, including correct truck mounted hardware on the actual truck brake beams! Accurate, rotating Timken rotating roller bearing caps on the trucks finish off this car. Available in 6 numbers!
– Conrail (CR) “Ex PC Patch 1978+” gives us another chance to model in interesting patch, this time from a former PC car. All of the PC details are present, including the Gypsum running boards and truck mounted brake hardware. This CR car has green patches covering the main PC graphics, along with replacement smooth roof hatches and Morton-style end crossover platforms. This model is offered with one prototypically accurate number. Don’t miss out!
– NAHX “Ex PC Restencil 1997+” takes the PC patched-scheme idea and turns the volume to 11. This example shows one of the PC cars that survived the CR era in PC green, and was acquired as part of the NAHX fleet circa 1997. Check out the little details – fresh NAHX stencil graphics, “ghost” PC lettering coming through the CR era patches, CR 1980s stencil remnants, and additional CR era COTS application. This model is offered in one prototypically accurate number!
– NAHX “Garvey Grain 12-73” shows off another classic scheme applied to a Pullman-built 4750. Garvey Grain leased 50 cars from North American Car Company in late 1973, painted gray with sharp red graphics. These cars feature Morton running boards, body-mounted brake hardware and Timken rotating truck caps, just like the prototype. Garvey loaded these cars in a band of elevators from Nebraska to Texas, and our Garvey Grain cars have arrived in 4 numbers!
– Undecorated RTR continues our dedication to the modelers. We get it—sometimes you just want to paint your own car. We are modelers too, and we understand the need to continue to offer undecorated products without drama. This car is completely assembled and unpainted. (Yes, bare plastic, not primer!) It is based on a 1972-1973 built car, featuring the solid-post body, truck mounted brakes, Morton running boards, early Miner outlet gates and Timken roller bearing caps. Ready for painting and lettering in a prototype or your own private road.
– Undecorated KIT offers a kit version of a 1972-1973 car. This is a great option if you want to build or customize a car for a particular modeling project. It is based on a 1972-1973 built car, featuring the solid post body, truck mounted brakes, Morton running boards, early Miner outlet gates and Timken roller bearing caps. Ready for painting and lettering in a prototype or your own private road. This kit includes trucks. You supply your own favorite couplers.
All of these models can be seen at www.tangentscalemodels.com !
The Tangent PS4750 is a state of the art, dimensionally-accurate scale replica with highly accurate “true-to-life” colors and precise letter stencils. Our PS4750 system of models offers a multitude of detail variations and phases to replicate the many different Pullman-Standard offerings. Example variations include: body shells with or without holes in the side posts, brake systems, outlet gates, roofs, roof hatches, roof overhangs, running boards, crossover platforms, end ladders, jacking pads, brakewheel housings, and brakewheels. This replica includes our fine “near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail. Our ready-to-operate replica is finished with coupler lift bars accompanying Kadee® scale couplers and sufficient hidden weights to ensure the model operates as good as it looks. At more than 100 parts per car, not to mention phase accurate details, genuine Kadee couplers, and all-metal wheels, we provide you with a high-value model that will provide you with years of enjoyment and curb-appeal.
These products are shipping today! Features for these replicas include:
– Dimensional accuracy – designed from Pullman-Standard plans and verified with field measurements
– Highly correct “true to life” colors
– “Hyper-Accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement
– Genuine Kadee® scale couplers
– “Near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail
– Multiple road numbers for each scheme
– “See through” etched metal running boards and crossover platforms (in one of 6 possible variations)
– Road-specific details for each scheme, including 7 different brake systems, 3 different outlet gates, 3 different sets of roof hatches, 4 jacking pad sets, with or without shaker brackets, 2 roof overhangs, 3 different running board and crossover platform options, end ladders options, 7 brakewheel housing and clevis options, and 2 brakewheel options.
– Beautiful details – wire grab irons and coupler lift bars – no “molded in” plastic grab irons here!
– Separate air hoses
– CNC-machined 36” wheels
– All-New precision Tangent Scale Models 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks with rotating bearing caps and separate brake beam part
– Recommended age 14 years and older
Don’t miss out on the Tangent Scale Models PS4750, the most relevant freight car of the 1970s! Pricing for RTR models is $48.95, with quantity discounts for direct purchases from Tangent Scale Models.
That wraps up our update for today, and thank you for supporting the family-owned businesses in our industry!
Tangent Scale Models