Tangent Scale Models is pleased to announce more new paint schemes for our HO Scale General American 4180 “Airslide” covered hopper. First released by Tangent in 2015, our GATC 4180 Airslide covered hopper continues our long-standing focus on beautiful detailing, consistent colors and stenciling, and excellent operating abilities. When you factor in the quality of detailing and execution out of the box against your modeling time, Tangent provides a better value than train set alternatives that have fewer parts and missing stencil markings.
Our new cars are available today – for sale via our website and live from the St. Louis RPM meet in Collinsville IL! Our third production of General American 4180 covered hoppers includes the following 8 RTR paint schemes – plus undec RTR and undec kits so you can “build your own masterpiece.”
– BN “Original Green 1972” represents an original GATX-painted green car as delivered to BN in 1972. This car includes beautifully-rendered BURLINGTON NORTHERN lettering with tons of other fine lettering detail – check out the amount of stenciling on this car. It is on every panel! These Tangent cascade green stunners are available in 4 road numbers. Our BN green covered hoppers have a distinct theme of looking consistent. Don’t miss out on our next chapter!
– MP “UP repaint 6-1994” represents a gray UP repaint from June 1994 with MP reporting marks. This car includes the reporting marks stenciled on the black trucks. Check out our awesome UP shield! This is the first of three MP/UP airslides in this release. Collect all 3!
– MP “UP repaint 5-1994” represents a gray UP repaint from May 1994 with MP reporting marks. This car includes gray trucks just like the prototype. This is the second of three MP/UP airslides in this release. Collect all 3!
– MP “UP repaint 5-1992” represents a gray UP repaint from May 1992 with MP reporting marks. This car includes the reporting marks stenciled on the black trucks. This is the third of three MP/UP airslides in this release. Collect all 3!
– NP “Original Gray 1967” in the gray scheme with NORTHERN PACIFIC spelled out in black. In addition to the large lettering, our cars include all of the fine lettering the cars should have, just like the prototype. NP bought these for flour and sugar service and were quite common during the NP era as well as into the late BN era. These beauties are available with three road numbers.
– SLSF “Original Gray 1965” in the gray scheme with FRISCO spelled out large, in black. These are sharp cars! Like our NP offerings, these SLSF cars lasted well into the BN era. These beauties are available with three road numbers.
– SOU “Original Gray 1978” in the gray scheme with SOUTHERN and the road number both spelled out large, in black. In addition to the large lettering, our cars include all of the fine lettering the cars should have, just like the prototype. Also, these cars have gray trucks, just like Southern ordered from GATC. These beauties are available with four road numbers.
– GACX “Original Gray 1971” is a “plain gray” lease scheme car with a very small Coca-Cola lessee notation. This plain gray scheme represents a fairly common GACX scheme found on cars from build date to today. These cars are available in three road numbers.
– Undecorated RTR Primer Gray in three versions: 1965-1966, 1967-1969, 1970-1980
– Unpainted Kit in three versions: 1965-1966, 1967-1969, 1970-1980
– 14 Other schemes available: 4 different BNSF buffer car schemes, ATSF “Original Gray 1978”, B&O “Original Gray 1968”, C&O Chessie “Original Yellow 1973”, CNW “Original Gray 1976”, GM&O “Original Gray 1966”, Milwaukee “Original Gray 1965”, GACX “Clinton Corn Processing”, GACX “Brach’s Candy 1974”, GACX “Westvaco Carbon 1980” and SIRX Restencil “IGP Canada”.
The Tangent Scale Models GATC 4180s are shipping now. Features for our replicas include:
– Dimensional accuracy – designed from actual General American plans and verified with field measurements
– Highly correct “true to life” colors
– “Hyper-Accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement
– Genuine Kadee® scale couplers
– “Near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail
– Multiple road numbers for each scheme
– “See through” etched metal running boards
– A series of various spotting variations that replicate cars from General American’s prolific 1965-1980 production period, including different roofs, running boards, body side post (“rib”) profiles, high and low brake arrangements on the B end, different ladder and grab iron arrangements, with or without crossover platforms and handrails, etc. Sell off the toy trains and save your time – we do freight cars right.
– Lacy details installed and painted – wire grab irons and coupler lift bars
– Separate air hoses
– CNC-machined 36” wheels in high quality Tangent Scale Models trucks, with semi-scale wheels available separately
– Recommended age 14 years and older
Don’t miss out on the Tangent Scale Models General American 4180 Airslide covered hopper, one of the most sought-after freight cars from the turbulent 1960s-1970s period, done right with phase variations! Pricing for RTR models is $44.95, with quantity discounts for direct purchases from Tangent Scale Models.
That wraps up our update for today, and thank you for supporting the family-owned businesses in our industry!
Tangent Scale Models
PO Box 6514
Asheville NC 28816