It’s time for more Covered Hoppers! Tangent Scale Models announces the availability today of new paint schemes for our industry-leading HO Scale PS4750 Covered Hopper models.
The Pullman-Standard PS-2CD 4750 covered hopper was the largest production covered hopper design in history, and is therefore statistically important to virtually any modeler from the 1970s to the present. Tangent Scale Models continues the evolution of our “phased approach” PS4750 models, not “one-size fits all” models. This release reintroduces our body variations from 1978-1980 production, which include open-hole side posts, both large and small jacking pad tabs at the bolsters, and other production trends and car details, including brake systems.
Our May 2022 production includes eleven total private and railroad schemes, including the return of several requested schemes:
– BN “Delivery Cascade Green 1-1980” is now available in the striking “original cascade green” scheme with large BN logo and large Burlington Northern lettering. Yup, it has been a few years since we first offered BN on our PS4750, and we are happy to offer BN again. A highly accurate model, these cars are stunners and look great alongside our other BN releases for a great “family appearance” for your fleet. Featured details include prototypically accurate body-mounted brake hardware and scale-sized Miner “Selflok” outlet gates. We didn’t stop there. Every panel of this car has BN and Pullman lettering applied. From the large BN logo down to the individual car numbers on the center sill and trucks – it’s all there. The Tangent model is the ONLY PS4750 model that has the proper phase characteristics to match these 1980 prototypes, BN’s one and only as-delivered PS4750 order! We are proud to offer these BN stunners in 12 new road numbers for 2022.
– ICG “Original 1979” continues our tradition of gorgeous ICG models, this time in the ICG as-delivered simplified paint that was found on more than one-third of the ICG PS4750 fleet. Did you know the ICG added 500 PS 4750 cars to their fleet in 1979 alone? Features for this ICG model include accurate body-mounted brake hardware details and trust stencil lettering variations matching the prototype series groups. Relevant and accurate, this is a critical car for those of you modeling ICG, “New IC,” or CN era grain cars anywhere in the last 43 years. Our previous run of these replicas was years ago and sold out fast, so these simple stunners are now available again in 12 new road numbers for 2022.
– KCS “Delivery Brown 12-1979” represents our first all-new offering in this run. The KCS scheme is simple and eye-catching, with the tall KCS reporting marks, white circle delineators and brown matching trucks. The center sill correctly models the brake linkage “access holes” on one side of the car, just like the real ones. This is a big scheme, and we know our KCS customers have been a patient group. Our KCS “terra cotta” colored masterpieces, accurately depicting the Pullman-Standard prototypes, are offered in your choice of 12 different road numbers.
– MKT “Original 12-1979” in the eye-catching green scheme with the large yellow “MKT” painted on the flanks of the car. Yup, it has been several years since we first offered MKT on our PS4750, and we are happy to offer MKT again. Like the BN models above, the Tangent PS4750 is the only model on the market to match MKT’s one and only order of PS4750s, from the jacking pads, brake system, roof hatches, etc. Check out the prototypical Ellcon-National Peacock D-1600 hand brake and the Brenco-3 style rotating roller bearing caps! These beautiful replicas are available with 12 new road numbers for 2022!
– ROCK “Delivery Blue 6-1978” is available again in the “Blue Original 1978” scheme. Our “R” black and white logo and blue color is stunningly executed, check it out for yourself. ROCK lettering done right is something to behold, with accurate data stencil breaks and careful duplication of ROCK’s data style. This is Tangent-accurate hand-drawn artwork. We have also matched the 1978 ROCK details including body-mounted brake center sill linkage, Miner outlet gates, a Universal hand brake and matching Universal brake wheel. Our ROCK replicas are available now with 12 new road number choices for 2022!
– CNW Ex- ROCK “Blue w/ white CNW” V3 is a “banditized” ROCK scheme variation. After the ROCK bankruptcy, CNW and other railroads assumed ownership of former ROCK freight cars, including this series of PS4750s. We have represented some aging of the carbody color with faded blue paint, the ROCK reporting mark and number banditized with fresh ROCK paint, and a recently-applied CNW “Roman” restencil with white lettering. The car also has a CNW white herald just like the prototype. We are pleased to offer these all-new CNW replicas with 2 road numbers, 752096 and 752099! Also note that we have 2 other paint scheme variants of CNW ex-ROCK cars available as well, since CNW had various “versions” of these banditized cars. Bandit Variety for the people!
– CNW Ex- ROCK “Blue w/ black CNW” V4 is a second “banditized” ROCK scheme variation. After the ROCK bankruptcy, CNW and other railroads assumed ownership of former ROCK freight cars, including this series of PS4750s. We have represented some aging of the carbody color with faded blue paint. For this version, the large “R” and “The Rock” and the reporting mark/number have been painted out. A black CNW herald has been added to the upper right corner of the car, just like the prototype. We are pleased to offer these all-new CNW replicas with 2 road numbers, 752253 and 752260! Also note that we have 2 other paint scheme variants of CNW ex-ROCK cars available as well, since CNW had various “versions” of these banditized cars. We understand you, CNW modelers.
– CNW Ex- ROCK “Blue w/ black CNW” V5 is a third “banditized” ROCK scheme variation. After the ROCK bankruptcy, CNW and other railroads assumed ownership of former ROCK freight cars, including this series of PS4750s. We have represented some aging of the carbody color with faded blue paint. For this version, the ROCK number has been banditized with fresh blue paint. CNW then added “CNW font” block lettering reporting marks and road numbers, with black lettering. A black CNW herald has been added right next to the large, “R” that remains intact from its ROCK delivery. We are pleased to offer these all-new CNW replicas with 2 road numbers, 752300 and 752305! Also note that we have 2 other paint scheme variants of CNW ex-ROCK cars available as well, since CNW had various “versions” of these banditized cars. You asked for bandits, we deliver bandits.
– PVGX “Peavey Delivery 5-1980” represents our large grain conglomerate offering for this production run. Peavey was a large grain products shipper with elevators scattered around the Midwest from Duluth-Superior to New Orleans, these cars were found on all corners of the North American railroad network, for example, cars photographed on the SP in San Luis Obispo! This Peavey blue car includes a sharp red-orange PEAVEY across the center of the car. Most small stenciling is white, and this car includes the distinctive North American Car leasing logo to denote its ownership status. These cars are sure to sell quickly, don’t miss out on the 6 road numbers we are offering!
– SOO “ex-Peavey Bandit 2007+” represents a nod to the conspicuity-era modelers out there. Soo and successor CP acquired many secondhand covered hoppers over the years. This car represents a secondhand CP-era former Peavey car, complete with paintouts of the large PEAVEY in the center, plus the PVGX reporting marks. The COTS received some updates along the way, and the model features conspicuity stripes on the sill. We are offering this scheme with one specific road number to reflect its accuracy.
– RREX “Klemme Coop Iowa 4-1979” is our private grain elevator selection in this release of PS4750s. This car is a stunner and our next “pink” Iowa coop offering, with large “Klemme Coop” lettering and the smaller “Klemme, Iowa” underneath. This is a very sharp looking car and goes well with our previous pink car offerings! Details include accurate body-mounted brake hardware with center-tube linkage and Miner “Selflok” outlet gates. Our Klemme Coop replica is available with 6 road numbers. Don’t miss out, these go fast!
All of these models can be seen at www.tangentscalemodels.com !
The Tangent PS4750 is a state of the art, dimensionally-accurate scale replica with highly accurate “true-to-life” colors and precise letter stencils. Our PS4750 system of models offers a multitude of detail variations and phases to replicate the many different Pullman-Standard offerings. Example variations include: body shells with or without holes in the side posts, brake systems, outlet gates, roofs, roof hatches, roof overhangs, running boards, crossover platforms, end ladders, jacking pads, brakewheel housings, and brakewheels. This replica includes our fine “near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail. Our ready-to-operate replica is finished with coupler lift bars accompanying Kadee® scale couplers and sufficient hidden weights to ensure the model operates as good as it looks. At more than 100 parts per car, not to mention phase accurate details, genuine Kadee couplers, and all-metal wheels, we provide you with a high-value model that will provide you with years of enjoyment and curb-appeal.
These products are shipping today! A quick synopsis of our 1979-1980 era and railroad-specific detail variations include:
- Dimensional accuracy – designed from Pullman-Standard plans and verified with field measurements
- Highly correct “true to life” colors
- “Hyper-Accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement
- Genuine Kadee® scale couplers
- “Near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail
- Multiple road numbers for each scheme
- “See through” etched metal running boards and crossover platforms (in 6 possible combinations)
- Road-specific details for each scheme, including 7 different brake systems, 3 different outlet gates, 3 different sets of roof hatches, 4 jacking pad sets, with or without shaker brackets, 2 roof overhangs, 3 different running board and crossover platform options, end ladders options, 7 brakewheel housing and clevis options, and 2 brakewheel options.
- Beautiful details – wire grab irons and coupler lift bars – no “molded in” plastic grab irons here!
- Separate air hoses
- CNC-machined 36” wheels
- Our precision Tangent Scale Models 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks with prototype-specific rotating bearing caps (four possible options!) and separate brake beam part (2 possible options!)
- Recommended age 14 years and older
Don’t miss out on the Tangent Scale Models PS4750, the most relevant freight car of the 1970s-1980s period! Pricing for RTR models is $52.95, with quantity discounts for direct purchases from Tangent Scale Models.
That wraps up our update for today, and thank you for supporting the family-owned businesses in our industry!