While the GSC 60′ Flatcars were first produced without bulkheads, GSC – later incorporated as General Steel Industries (GSI) – offered the 60′ flat cars with or without bulkhead ends to protect lading from shifting onto an adjacent car during switching operations. A car of tremendous versatility, these flat cars served nationwide in service on many railroads starting in 1956, and thanks to the sturdy cast steel frame construction of these cars these cars served in a multitude of services including lumber, wallboard, poles, and heavy equipment services, to name a few. GSI, located in Granite City IL, supplied either complete cars or cast steel flatcar bodies to various railroads. Railroads that elected to purchase only the bodies would then equip the cars with components preferred for projected service.
One of the more popular schemes to adorn this prototype was the Great Northern’s “Sky Blue” scheme. GN applied two variations of this paint scheme to their 60-foot bulkhead flatcar fleet, with the core difference being the location of the white delineators (predecessors to today’s “conspicuity stripes”). Here is a photo example of the GN version we currently offer, deep into the BN era in 1980. Please note this GN version is slightly different than the version we first offered in 2016!
For whatever reason, BN repainted only a small handful of these cars into BN green paint, with only one photo in existence. Click on the BN model image at right to see a prototype photo.
Also, just because you might model a western or midwestern railroad does not mean you should tune ACL or SCL flatcars out. Here is one in Topeka, Kansas!
The Tangent Scale Models 60’ GSI flatcar with bulkheads is a distinctive finescale replica that includes highly accurate lettering, “true to life” colors, and narrow draft gear. The model includes Kadee® scale couplers and an intelligent weight design to ensure the model operates as good as it looks.
Our motto is “Unparalleled scale replicas for discriminating railroad modelers”. We hope you’ll agree! Our General Steel Castings 60′ Flatcar replicas include:
- Dimensional accuracy – scaled exactly from General Steel Casting carbody plans
- Highly detailed bulkhead ends
- Highly accurate “true to life” colors
- Exact fonts and lettering placement – compare our replicas to the prototype photos on our website!
- Detail variations: Decking assembly variations, appropriate for each paint scheme
- Detail variations: Oval or no-oval cutouts, appropriate for each paint scheme
- Detail variations: End of car cushioning devices or standard draft gear, appropriate for each paint scheme
- Detail variations: Roller or plain bearing truck variations, appropriate for each paint scheme
- Painted or “gray” decks appropriate for each paint scheme
- Wire grab irons and coupler lift bars
- Air hoses
- Weighted to NMRA specs for smooth operation – 5 ounces
- Kadee® scale metal couplers
- Tangent free-rolling metal wheels
- Recommended age 14 years and older.
Please click on the images at right for pricing, SKUs, high resolution photos, prototype photos, car number options, and/or to order!