During the 1950s, General American Transportation Company tank car production was in full swing utilizing the company’s “all-welded” tank car designs, produced at the company’s Sharon PA plant. In 1957, GATC continued production of general service, non-insulated tank cars with safety platforms installed around the dome, however Sharon added extra sheet metal to the top portion of the tank body around the dome, giving it a “bulb” or raised appearance. Also, there were other refinements to the design including a modernized handrail around the tank, larger tank manway handrail uprights, and side tank weldment mechanisms to secure the tank to the frame.
These tank cars remained in service into the 1990s and were utilized for a variety of services including corn syrup, caustic soda (sodium hydroxide), fatty acid, molasses, sodium chlorate, vinegar, fuel oil and other petroleum products, etc. The “smooth” appearance of these common tanks with the safety platform makes them look very “modern,” and their design is similar to tank cars produced today.
Most of these cars were painted in billboard schemes during this production era, reflecting lessees for various liquid materials shippers. These tank cars remained in service into the 1990s and were utilized for a variety of services including corn syrup, caustic soda (sodium hydroxide), fatty acid, molasses, sodium chlorate, vinegar, fuel oil and other petroleum products, etc. The “smooth” appearance of these common tanks with the safety platform makes them look very “modern,” and their design is similar to tank cars produced today.
These cars truly were nationwide roamers, reflecting lessees for many liquid materials shippers. Here is the Clinton Corn Processing, Clinton, Iowa “Original 1958” car in service in the 1960s. This is a corn syrup car and these went everywhere! We offer a model for this car, available in 4 numbers.
As time went on, these tank cars were repainted into more modern schemes serving their lessees – or reflecting new lessees. Here is one of the more modern “plain black” cars from 1974. We offer a model for this car, available in 4 numbers.
The Tangent Scale Models General American 1957-Design 8,000 gallon welded general service tank car is a stunning model that includes the aforementioned “bulb” on the tank, plus a beautifully-rendered safety walkway and safety platform. Our models include distinctive details matched to each paint scheme, such as tank straps vs. weldments, inlet and safety valve details on the tank dome, outlet pipes underneath the car, and heater pipe details. Also, note our correct “true-to-life” colors and “hyper-accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement. Finally, our scale replicas operate as well as they look, equipped with free-rolling all-metal wheels, NMRA-conforming weight, and Kadee® scale couplers, meaning our models are truly ready to run.
The above-pictured cars are available in model form now – and will be sold at Trainfest 2019 in Milwaukee WI!
Features for our GATC 1957-Design 8,000 Gallon Welded General Service Tank Car replicas include:
– Dimensional accuracy
– Highly correct “true to life” colors
– “Hyper-Accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement
– “See-through” running board wraps around the underframe
– “See-through” dome platform with exquisite handrail detail
– Two dome handrail saddle variations
– Multiple dome cap / top appliance variations
– Multiple bottom outlet variations
– Dimensionally-correct hazardous placards with accurate hole detail
– Separately applied tank handrail
– Separately applied tank strap detail
– Durable wire grab irons and coupler lift bars
– Separate air hoses
– “Near-scale” draft gear box with side detail
– Genuine Kadee® “scale-head” couplers
– CNC-machined 33” wheels in high-quality Tangent Scale Models ASF cast steel truck with spring plank and with separate brake beams
– NMRA-conforming weight
– Replacement semi-scale wheels available separately from Tangent
– Multiple road numbers for each scheme – these cars often traveled in “groups” of more than one
– Recommended age 14 years and older
Please click on the images at right for pricing, SKUs, high resolution photos, prototype photos, car number options, and/or to order!