Following World War II, General American Transportation Company transitioned away from riveted construction techniques for tank cars produced at the company’s Sharon PA plant, following techniques developed during the war when rivets were in short supply. In 1948 GATC first released this “all-welded” tank and underframe design for their general service, non-insulated tank car. In many ways these cars looked similar to their pre-war predecessors, except that they were missing the many circumferential rivets that defined that production era. These tank cars remained in service into the 1980s, even without safety platforms, and were utilized for a variety of services including corn syrup, caustic soda (sodium hydroxide), fatty acid, molasses, sodium chlorate, vinegar, fuel oil and other petroleum products, etc. These were very common tank cars, not oddballs!
Most of these cars were painted in billboard paint schemes during this production era, reflecting lessees for various liquid materials shippers. These tank cars remained in service into the 1980s and during their service life were utilized for a variety of services including corn syrup, caustic soda (sodium hydroxide), fatty acid, molasses, sodium chlorate, vinegar, and fuel oil and other petroleum products, carbon disulfide, etc. The “smooth” appearance of these common tanks – due to welded construction – with the side of tank platforms makes them look very “modern,” and their design is similar to tank cars produced today.
These cars truly were nationwide roamers, reflecting lessees for many liquid materials shippers. Here is the lessee painted car for Hooker, with a bright orange and black paint scheme with the classic white Hooker Chemicals logo, plus location lettering demonstrating the company’s factory in Wilmington CA. This car is caustic soda service. Caustic soda, also known as sodium hydroxide, is a primary ingredient in the manufacture of many consumer products, including paper, textiles, soaps and detergents, bleach, petroleum products, and more. Check out this model’s stunning black ladders, walkway frame, and walkway handrails which contrast against the orange carbody. This sharp car is available in 4 numbers.
Here is an all-black lessee car working in Chicago. These cars went everywhere.
The Tangent Scale Models General American 1948-Design 8,000 gallon welded general service tank car is a stunning model that includes distinctive details matched to each paint scheme, such as inlet and safety valve details on the tank dome, outlet pipes underneath the car, and heater pipe details. Also, note our correct “true-to-life” colors and “hyper-accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement. Finally, our scale replicas operate as well as they look, equipped with free-rolling all-metal wheels, NMRA-conforming weight, and Kadee® scale couplers, meaning our models are truly ready to run.
All of the above-pictured cars are available in model form.
Features for our GATC 1948-Design 8,000 Gallon Welded General Service Tank Car replicas include:
– Dimensional accuracy
– Highly correct “true to life” colors
– “Hyper-Accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement
– “See-through” running board wraps around the underframe
– “See-through” dome platform with exquisite handrail detail
– Multiple dome cap / top appliance variations
– Multiple bottom outlet variations
– Dimensionally-correct hazardous placards with accurate hole detail
– Separately applied tank handrail
– Separately applied tank strap detail
– Durable wire grab irons and coupler lift bars
– Separate air hoses
– “Near-scale” draft gear box with side detail
– Genuine Kadee® “scale-head” couplers
– CNC-machined 33” wheels in high-quality Tangent Scale Models ASF cast steel truck with spring plank and with separate brake beams
– NMRA-conforming weight
– Replacement semi-scale wheels available separately from Tangent
– Multiple road numbers for each scheme – these cars often traveled in “groups” of more than one
– Recommended age 14 years and older
Please click on the images at right for pricing, SKUs, high resolution photos, prototype photos, car number options, and/or to order!