Tangent Scale Models is proud to introduce new production for our stunning General American 8,000 Gallon Acid Tank Car with Welded Underframe. Following World War II, specialized liquid shippers requested new special duty tank cars, and General American Transportation Corporation met their demands by producing specific-service cars such as this 8,000 gallon acid service tank car. At the same time, General American switched from a riveted underframe and riveted tank design to a welded underframe and tank. These specific prototypes were produced between 1949 and 1960 at General American’s factory in Sharon PA. These tank cars had long service lives, lasting into the 1990s in revenue service. Acid service tank cars were commonly-seen nationwide, providing transportation for strong chemical compounds, such as hydrochloric (muriatic), hydrofluoric, phosphoric, and sulfuric acids. Acid tank cars were rubber-lined, featured one percent expansion domes on the top, and did not have bottom tank outlets.
The Tangent Scale Models General American 8,000 gallon ICC-103-B-W acid tank car is a visually-distinctive model that includes details accurate for each paint scheme. Note the distinctive small expansion dome at the top, surrounded by a beautifully-rendered “see-through” safety walkway. Our walkways along the side of the car are also “see-through” safety tread, just like their prototypes. As always, our correct “true-to-life” colors and “hyper-accurate” lettering includes exact fonts and lettering placement. Finally, our scale replicas operate as well as they look, equipped with free-rolling all-metal wheels and Kadee® scale couplers, meaning our models are truly ready to run.
This is NOT a pre-order announcement. Our NEW Ready to Run replicas are available NOW at www.tangentscalemodels.com and whether wearing “plain” GATX lease colors or the colors of a lessee, these replicas will certainly be eye-catchers on your layout:
– GATX “Diamond Chemical 1952+” in the striking black scheme with Diamond Chemical logo on the side, complete with the red diamond. The car also includes a spelled-out “Diamond Chemicals” and “Diamond Alkali Company Cleveland Ohio.” This striking model is sure to be popular, so don’t miss out. It is available in three road numbers.
– GATX “Hooker Chemicals 1950+” in the distinctive Hooker Chemicals orange and black scheme with a 1950 paint date, complete with the Hooker Chemicals flag logo, large “HOOKER” lettering, and Niagara Falls, NY car assignment labeling. These stunning cars are available in three road numbers!
– GATX “Petróleos Mexicanos 1960+” in the “off-white” leasing scheme with black band in the center and with orange boxes stating “Rentado A Petroleos Mexicanos” on one side of the car, and “Uso Exclusivo Acido Muriatico” on the other side of the car. This very cool car includes a 1960 paint date on the side of the car, and the prototype photo on our website shows the prototype car NOT in Mexico but in Central Texas on the MP. This GATX lease scheme is available in one road number.
– GATX “White Lease 1980+” in the plain “white lease 1980+” scheme which includes a large black stripe in the middle of the car, as well as tiny “Dupont de Nemours” lettering for hydrochloric acid loading. The black stripe was applied by GATX leasing in an “economy” mode where it is only painted onto the top two-thirds of the tank. These cars were repainted in 1980, which of course is modeled after an exact prototype photo. These cars are documented to have lasted into the 1990s, and represents a general lease car broadly applicable across North America. Check out the ACI placard in this car, which sits on its own placard off the walkway! Very cool, and very 1980s. It is available in two road numbers.
– Undecorated RTR Black 1949-1951 cars are immediately ready for decaling!
– Undecorated RTR Black 1951-1960 cars are immediately ready for decaling!
– Undecorated Unpainted Kits are available as well for those who desire to build their own.
Features for these awesome replicas include:
– Welded body and welded underframe
– “See-through” running board wraps around the underframe
– “See-through” dome platform with lacey handrail detail
– Distinctive dome appliances and profile
– Dimensionally-correct hazardous placards with accurate hole detail
– Separately applied tank handrail
– Separately applied tank strap detail
– Full “lacy” AB brake detail and train air line
– Highly correct “true to life” colors
– “Hyper-Accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement
– Accurate lettering applied to the underframe and air reservoir
– Road-specific poling pockets in the bolsters for each scheme
– Durable wire grab irons and coupler lift bars
– Separate air hoses
– “Near-scale” draft gear box with side detail
– Kadee® “scale-head” couplers
– CNC-machined 33” wheels in high-quality Tangent Scale Models ASF cast steel truck with spring plank and with separate brake beams
– Replacement semi-scale wheels available separately from Tangent
– Multiple road numbers for each scheme
– Recommended age 14 years and older
Don’t miss out on the Tangent Scale Models General American 8,000 gallon acid tank car! Just like its prototype, this car is tiny in size and will stand out extremely well on any layout situated from the 1940s to the 1990s! Other guys are trying to do tank cars like ours, but ours still look better!
Pricing for RTR models is $44.95. High-resolution images showing these fine replicas are available at www.tangentscalemodels.com and our site also includes prototype images for your reference as well.
That wraps up our update for today, and thank you for supporting the family-owned businesses in our industry!