Live from Trainfest 2017! The Pullman-Standard PS-2CD 4750 covered hopper was the largest production covered hopper design in history, and is therefore statistically important to virtually any modeler from the 1970s to the present. Tangent Scale Models continues the evolution of our PS4750 models, and we are pleased to announce the next release of the industry-leading HO Scale PS-2CD 4750 covered hopper. This ALL NEW body variation with solid side posts focuses on the early production cars with their associated production trends and car details.
We are now announcing our stunning PS4750 models in these seven roadnames (plus undecorated), and they will begin shipping on November 27. The seven schemes from this release include:
– Chicago & North Western (CNW) “Original 1973” which represents models from CNW’s first order of PS4750s, produced in May 1973 as lot 9762. We continue our ongoing CNW releases, this time the CNW scheme with only the “bar.” These green cars are very interesting due to their yellow accents on the roof, dutifully replicated on the model. Specific correct car appliances were included for CNW as well, including the brake system, Miner Selflok outlet gates, and Apex running boards, to name a few. Our CNW replicas are available with 6 road numbers! Also, don’t miss out on our CNW “restenciled” Rock Island PS4750s in this run!
– Illinois Terminal (ITC) “Original 12-73” is now available in what is arguably one of the craziest schemes to adorn a PS4750 covered hopper. This car is painted in the classic Illinois Terminal yellow carbody, and yes, we have included all of the detail colors as well. These include the red underbody and vertical slope sheets, and green appliances such as grab irons, steps and step supports, brakewheel, and underbody brake components. And of course, we include the red roofwalk grab irons. As if that were not enough, we include all of the various colors of lettering on the car, including green, red, and yellow. These ITC replicas from PS lot 9682 are available now with 6 road numbers! Don’t miss out on “The Road of Personalized Services!”
– Missouri Pacific (MP) “Orig. 12-72” in the original gray scheme with the “buzzsaw” Missouri Pacific Lines logo. This car series represents the first MP production cars delivered from Pullman-Standard, and were from lot 9621. They come with some new brake detail parts tooled especially for this phase of car. While some may say that Tangent does not offer MP models, that is not the case. These original gray cars still remain in service in original paint in 2017, serving Union Pacific, and serve deep into the US and Mexican rail networks. We are proud to offer these replicas with 12 road numbers.
– Rock Island (RI) “Original 5-73” in the original gray scheme with the “ROCK ISLAND” slanted stenciling spelled out along the top of the car. These 1973-delivered cars from lot 9662 are gorgeous. They feature the yellow paint highlights on the jacking pads, rooftop grab irons, and WARNING stencil. Like most of the schemes offered in this production, these represent the first PS4750s Rock Island ordered, and the only PS4750s to bear RI initials – the later-delivered cars (which Tangent has already offered) were delivered with ROCK reporting marks. These stunners wandered far from home rails, and virtually the entire series became the CNW 752500-752999 series. We offer “banditized” versions of those cars as well with this production run; see the next entry. These replicas are available with 12 road numbers. Now is your chance to fill in your Rock Island roster!
– Chicago & North Western (CNW) “Ex-RI Restencil” is the “restenciled” (or “banditized,” if you prefer) version of the car shown above. It is offered like the prototype cars looked from 1980 into the UP era, where they were restenciled with CNW road numbers in the 752500-752999 number series. We offer these stunners with 2 road numbers. They go great with the green CNW cars offered in this run, or with our CNW Airslide 4180 covered hoppers.
– PTLX “ConAgra 4-1973” is the only private lessee offering in the release of PS4750s. This car is a stunner and shows the depth of our PS4750 tooling. ConAgra was – and still is – a large grain products shipper and these cars were found on all corners of the North American railroad network, with example cars photographed on the EL in New York state and the Milwaukee on the “Pacific Extension” out west. Also, check out the rivet heads on our placard! Yeah, our models look like the real cars. We know how to count rivets on Pullman-Standard hoppers! This ConAgra green, black, and white replica is available with 4 total road numbers.
– SOO “ex-ConAgra 1984+” is the “restenciled” (or “banditized,” if you prefer) version of the car shown above. In the 1980s, SOO acquired a series of covered hoppers to augment their grain fleet. This ConAgra example is one of the cars the railroad acquired, and it was restenciled with SOO reporting marks to indicate the new ownership. Note how SOO retained the former Pullman Transport Leasing road number. Our model is a stunner and is sure to sell out quickly. It is available with a total of 2 road numbers.
The Tangent PS4750 is a state of the art, dimensionally-accurate scale replica with highly accurate “true-to-life” colors and precise letter stencils. Our PS4750 offers a multitude of detail variations and phases to replicate the Pullman-Standard offerings. Example variations include: body shells with or without holes in the side posts, brake systems, outlet gates, roofs, roof hatches, roof overhangs, running boards, crossover platforms, end ladders, jacking pads, brakewheel housings, and brakewheels. This replica includes our fine “near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail. Our ready-to-operate replica is finished with coupler lift bars accompanying Kadee® scale couplers and sufficient hidden weights to ensure the model operates as good as it looks. At more than 100 parts per car, not to mention phase accurate details, genuine Kadee couplers, and all-metal wheels, we provide you with a high-value model that will provide you with years of enjoyment and curb-appeal.
These products will begin shipping on November 27, just in time for your holiday merriment! Features for these replicas include:
– Dimensional accuracy – designed from Pullman-Standard plans and verified with field measurements
– Highly correct “true to life” colors
– “Hyper-Accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement
– Genuine Kadee® scale couplers
– “Near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail
– Multiple road numbers for each scheme
– “See through” etched metal running boards and crossover platforms (in one of 6 possible variations)
– Road-specific details for each scheme, including 7 different brake systems, 3 different outlet gates, 3 different sets of roof hatches, 4 jacking pad sets, with or without shaker brackets, 2 roof overhangs, 3 different running board and crossover platform options, end ladders options, 7 brakewheel housing and clevis options, and 2 brakewheel options.
– Beautiful details – wire grab irons and coupler lift bars – no “molded in” plastic grab irons here!
– Separate air hoses
– CNC-machined 36” wheels in high quality Tangent Scale Models 100-ton trucks
– Recommended age 14 years and older
Don’t miss out on the Tangent Scale Models PS4750, the most relevant freight car of the 1970s! Pricing for RTR models is $44.95, with quantity discounts for direct purchases from Tangent Scale Models.
That wraps up our update for today, and thank you for supporting the family-owned businesses in our industry!
David Lehlbach – live from Trainfest!
Tangent Scale Models
PO Box 6514
Asheville NC 28816