Welcome Spring! It’s time for more Covered Hoppers! Tangent Scale Models announces the availability today of new paint schemes for our industry-leading HO Scale PS4750 Covered Hopper models.
The Pullman-Standard PS-2CD 4750 covered hopper was the largest production covered hopper design in history, and is therefore statistically important to virtually any modeler from the 1970s to the present. Tangent Scale Models continues the evolution of our “phased approach” PS4750 models, not “one-size fits all” models. This release continues our theme of body variations from 1972-1974 production, which include solid side posts and other production trends and car details, including brake systems.
Additionally, our new run of PS4750 models feature our new 100-ton Barber S-2 truck, complete with “rotating” roller bearing caps, plus separate brake beam parts.
Our April 2020 production includes four schemes from the often-requested private operator/elevator fleet, plus a return of a fan-favorite railroad scheme:
– PTLX “FGDA Delivery 1973” is a classic private operator scheme and has never been offered by Tangent on our PS-2CD 4750. The Farmers Grain Dealers Association of Iowa leased several different groups of cars, however this run represents a large lot of 100 cars featuring a gorgeous “FGDA” placard on the side of the car. All of the detail lettering is present, from car specific draft gear reporting marks and numbers to Pullman Patent numbers on the frame. Unpainted Morton galvanized running boards add a great little detail to the classic Pullman Leasing green and black colors. Matching the PTLX prototype, this model features accurate truck mounted brakes, accurate brake beams, and Timken rotating caps. We offer this scheme in 4 road numbers.
– PTLX “United Webster City IA 1973” is easily one of the sharper private elevator offerings we have offered yet, including classic red and black paint and big, bold “UNITED CO-OP” graphics. All of the accurate details are present, including Morton running boards, Early Miner outlet gates, Truck mounted brakes, and that classic yellow-painted brake wheel. While Webster City was located on both IC and CNW, these cars became free-roaming cars in large lease fleets in the mid-1980s. These cars come ready-to-operate in 2 numbers.
– NAHX “Gray Lease 1-74” illustrates private leased cars in the vast North American Car Co lease fleet. We get asked for plain cars a lot – and this car delivers with accuracy. These NAHX cars feature incredibly accurate North American Car Co graphics, with Roman style lettering, the classic red, white and blue NACC badge. Simple and accurate – Apex style running boards, body mounted brake hardware and brake beams, all per the prototype. Ah, and look closely: We even have the correct 6-sided Brenco rotating caps on our new Barber S-2 100-Ton trucks. Available in 2 numbers!
– NAHX “Benson-Quinn 1-74” offers another great North American Car Company leased scheme. Benson-Quinn leased a group of 50 cars in 1974. The distinctive Benson-Quinn lettering has been replicated down to the smallest detail, including accurate NACC Roman data. This order of cars features Morton running boards, body-mounted brake hardware and Timken rotating truck caps. This scheme is available in 2 numbers!
– Illinois Terminal (ITC) “Original 12-1973” offers ITC fans a second chance. This is a re-run of an incredibly popular Tangent 4750 paint scheme. This stunningly accurate Illinois Terminal paint job is an exercise in details: Beautiful carbody yellow is paired with a rich red, and of course, all of those little green grab irons and other details are present. This release features our all-new truck tooling with matching red sideframes and red, rotating Timken caps. Don’t miss out on this stunner with 6 all-new numbers for 2020!
The Tangent PS4750 is a state of the art, dimensionally-accurate scale replica with highly accurate “true-to-life” colors and precise letter stencils. Our PS4750 system of models offers a multitude of detail variations and phases to replicate the many different Pullman-Standard offerings. Example variations include: body shells with or without holes in the side posts, brake systems, outlet gates, roofs, roof hatches, roof overhangs, running boards, crossover platforms, end ladders, jacking pads, brakewheel housings, and brakewheels. This replica includes our fine “near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail. Our ready-to-operate replica is finished with coupler lift bars accompanying Kadee® scale couplers and sufficient hidden weights to ensure the model operates as good as it looks. At more than 100 parts per car, not to mention phase accurate details, genuine Kadee couplers, and all-metal wheels, we provide you with a high-value model that will provide you with years of enjoyment and curb-appeal.
These products are shipping today! Features for these replicas include:
– Dimensional accuracy – designed from Pullman-Standard plans and verified with field measurements
– Highly correct “true to life” colors
– “Hyper-Accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement
– Genuine Kadee® scale couplers
– “Near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail
– Multiple road numbers for each scheme
– “See through” etched metal running boards and crossover platforms (in one of 6 possible variations)
– Road-specific details for each scheme, including 7 different brake systems, 3 different outlet gates, 3 different sets of roof hatches, 4 jacking pad sets, with or without shaker brackets, 2 roof overhangs, 3 different running board and crossover platform options, end ladders options, 7 brakewheel housing and clevis options, and 2 brakewheel options.
– Beautiful details – wire grab irons and coupler lift bars – no “molded in” plastic grab irons here!
– Separate air hoses
– CNC-machined 36” wheels
– All-New precision Tangent Scale Models 100-ton Barber S-2 trucks with prototype-specific rotating bearing caps and separate brake beam part
– Recommended age 14 years and older
Don’t miss out on the Tangent Scale Models PS4750, the most relevant freight car of the 1970s! Pricing for RTR models is $48.95, with quantity discounts for direct purchases from Tangent Scale Models.
That wraps up our update for today, and thank you for supporting the family-owned businesses in our industry!
Tangent Scale Models