In 2007, Tangent Scale Models started the trend of offering unparalleled railroad freight car replicas in HO scale, the likes of which had never been seen in the market. These highly-detailed replicas have consistently raised the bar for HO scale models with several hallmarks, including precision tooling, hyper-accurate stenciling, true to life colors, and era-specific details. Additionally, our models are designed to operate perfectly by including CNC-machined wheels, correct weights, and correct coupler heights. Simply put: We offer detailed freight cars on a higher level.
Fast forward to today’s release: the fourth release of our inaugural “Tangent quality” HO scale caboose offering. The era of “one size fits all” cabooses in HO scale plastic is over. We bring our passion and knowledge for translating real 1:1 railroad equipment from freight cars to cabooses. And we are taking things a step further, where our penchant for operations is accelerated with accurate marker lighting in era-specific versions! Our cars also have full interior lighting.
Today we are celebrating the return of our B&O Class I-18 Bay Window Caboose. This fleet of “modern” bay window cabooses were delivered by International Car Corp. (ICC), based in Kenton, OH. These were the first welded carbody cabooses on B&O, and they included modern features like full electrical lighting and marker lights, desks and high-back chairs, an oil heater, and roller bearing trucks. The B&O I-18 class was delivered in 1965 and 1966, with most cabooses serving through the B&O and Chessie eras. Most of the fleet survived to see service on CSX.
The I-18 fleet was in an almost constant state of change as they served the B&O. The B&O made equipment changes quickly after taking delivery in 1965 and 1966. Multiple Chessie System paint schemes, including the incredible eight “Safety Cabooses,” would start later in 1973. Exterior lighting and underframe plumbing changes would kick in through the 1970s. The 1980s would bring more repaints, renumbering and further equipment changes. The Tangent ICC B&O I-18 replica follows many of these same paths to execute specific detail and paint combinations. This is not a “one size fits all” caboose, but instead a grouping of era-specific Chessie cabooses!
Tangent’s fourth release is AVAILABLE TODAY so let’s jump right in:
– RERUN – Baltimore & Ohio (B&O) “Original Blue 1968+” replicates the as-delivered paint scheme as applied by International Car Corporation. All 46 I-18 cabooses originally wore this classic B&O Royal Blue with bold yellow ends and unpainted silver roof. Soon after their 1965-1966 arrival, the B&O made exterior changes for safety including updating the end steps & platform locations, changing railings and adding protective bay window side screens. This is where we start with our model — the 1968+ era, after these changes have been implemented. All of the original 1965 classic white B&O graphics are present, even down to the slack adjuster badge. The air reservoir, ICC paint job and wheel lubrication date stencils are accurate down to the day and month for each individual caboose number. The trust stencil data is or is not applied, based on the individual numbers. Fun fact: The first 26 I-18 cabooses were financed by the B&O through National Commercial bank, while the remaining 20 were purchased directly by the B&O. The fully-painted, two-tone green interior is illuminated with (dim!) lights and the scale-size Pyle lanterns are lit as well. A final detail worth mentioning: Those classic B&O red reflectors on the end railings have been faithfully duplicated with 4 individual red lenses. Our initial run of this scheme sold out fast in January of 2020, so we are pleased to offer four NEW numbers for 2022: C-3006, C-3017, C-3035, C-3037
– Chessie System (B&O) “1982+” offers new examples of later Chessie era cabooses. These three I-18 examples are wearing their 1973 Chessie paint jobs but include feature updates to the details matching the prototypes’ 1982+ appearances. Each of the three numbers are slightly different, based on prototype photos! Caboose 903002 features a restenciled B&O on one side of the bay window, plus its patched 6-digit number and intricate C&O Raceland Shops Inspection data. Caboose 903008 features different end number patches and similar 1982 era data stencils. Caboose 903040 features a third variation of the bay window patch and 6-Digit numbers along with silver box markers. All three cabooses exhibit the details of Chessie cabooses that made it to 1982: Updated toilet retention tanks, Chessie “box” style markers, appropriate COTS and Inspection interval lettering, and of course the FRA red end lights. Lighting features include prototypically dim interior lights, lit box markers, and red flashing end lights. This scheme is available in three NEW accurate numbers: 903002, 903008 and 903040. Chessie Modelers asked for more 1982+ era cabooses and we have listened!
– Chessie System (B&O) “Dark Blue Chessie Safety 1973+” delivers an all-new accurate Chessie Safety Caboose. The B&O DuBois Shops painted C-3028 into this sharp looking dark blue and silver combination in late 1973. Those black trucks really stand out! The caboose reminded employees with its “SAFE TODAY – HERE TOMORROW” slogan. Chessie Safety cabooses ran system-wide and were even part of an employee spotting contest in 1974, where the winner who spotted the most cabooses won a clock radio! 1973 era-appropriate underframe details include the toilet dump pipe and battery box. Lighting features on our model include prototypically dim interior lights as well as lit Pyle lanterns. This NEW scheme is available in one prototypically accurate number: C-3028. Don’t miss it.
– Chessie System (B&O) “Orange Chessie Safety 1979+” is the second of our all-new safety scheme offerings for this production. The slogan for this caboose reminded employees “SAFETY IS OF FIRST IMPORTANCE.” Our replica of caboose C-3043 is presented in its 1979+ form. What does this mean? For starters, this is the prototype’s second orange paint job. Chessie’s Raceland shops applied the new orange paint, along with a toilet retention tank on the underframe, new box style marker lights and the FRA flasher light on the end. Notice how the Raceland paint job features an orange sill and an orange upper top chord at the roof line, very different from the first orange paint job where these carbody features are silver. The new reporting marks and lettering are distinctly “Raceland,” utilizing a slightly different style of numbers. And of course, all of that tiny data is exactly right for this caboose, from the intricate and 100% accurate COTS data to the Raceland paint date on the sill. Lighting features on the model include interior lights as well as lit box markers and end red FRA flashers. This NEW scheme is available in one prototypically accurate number: C-3043.
– Chessie System (B&O) “Raceland Repaint 1979+” continues our dedication to replicating road-number specific repaints of I-18 cabooses. In 1979, the C&O Raceland, Kentucky, shops repainted the C-3034 with a fresh coat of yellow. While the work was being done, the caboose received Chessie-style fixed “box” markers, replacing the small silver Pyle lanterns, as well as a new FRA flashing end light. Check out the details of this 1979 Raceland paint job, including the silver smoke jack and silver area under the roof eaves. Notice the slightly lower Chessie cat, since the ACI label is no longer present, and of course, correct horizontal style COTS with accurate lettering exactly matching the prototype. Lighting features include prototypically dim interior lights, lit box markers, and red flashing end lights. Each prototype Raceland repaint scheme is a little different, and we are pleased to offer this in one prototypically accurate number: C-3034.
– Undecorated KIT “Pyle” Marker Lights is a fully unassembled kit version of the earlier 1968+ era B&O ICC I-18 Caboose. This kit features the earlier Pyle lantern plastic parts. This kit is UNLIT — no electronics are included. It is perfect for those who want to build their own cars or want to customize their own lighting circuit options. Ready for painting and lettering for a prototype or your own private road. This kit includes Tangent 70T Gould Roller Bearing trucks with power-pickup and 33″ standard 110 tread CNC wheels. You supply your own favorite couplers.
– Undecorated KIT “Box” Marker Lights is a fully unassembled kit version of the later 1979+ era B&O ICC I-18 Caboose. This kit features the later “box” style markers and FRA red end light plastic parts. This kit is UNLIT — no electronics are included. It is perfect for those who want to build their own cars or want to customize their own lighting circuit options. Ready for painting and lettering for a prototype or your own private road. This kit includes Tangent 70T Gould Roller Bearing trucks with power-pickup and 33″ standard 110 tread CNC wheels. You supply your own favorite couplers.
All of these models can be seen at www.tangentscalemodels.com!
The Tangent Scale Models B&O I-18 Bay Window Caboose is a state of the art, dimensionally accurate scale replica with highly accurate “true-to-life” colors and precise letter stencils. This caboose has never been offered before – in brass, resin, or plastic! Our B&O I-18 caboose was designed from meticulous field dimensions and includes incredible levels of detail such as Waugh Cushion Underframe, brake system, battery box, toilet pipe, rooftop vents, caboose window treatments accurate for the era of the caboose, plus beautiful see-through steps, end platforms, and running board. Inside the model is an accurately painted ICC-applied interior including the sink, toilet, oil heater, bunks, and desks. Our caboose includes interior lighting, plus marker light options that are appropriate for the RTR paint scheme offered. We offer “no fuss” track-powered exterior marker lights as appropriate for the prototype, and our cabooses are compatible with DC or DCC setups right out of the box (a simple wand included in the box activates the lights on each end – and the interior – independently). Finally, our ready-to-operate replica includes “near-scale” draft gear box including side “key” detail, coupler lift bars accompanying Kadee® scale couplers, sufficient hidden weights, and CNC-machined wheels to ensure the model operates as good as it looks.
These cabooses are shipping today! Features for these replicas include:
– Dimensional accuracy – designed from meticulous field dimensions with real tape measures
– Highly correct “true to life” colors
– “Hyper-Accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement
– Genuine Kadee® scale couplers
– “Near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail
– Multiple road numbers for each scheme, as appropriate
– “See through” Apex roof walkway
– “See through” etched metal end platforms and steps
– Unapologetically fine etch metal window screens
– Era-specific body details for each RTR scheme, including 2 different bay windows and 2 different scale-sized marker lights – both Pyle and “box” lights – they are really small!
– The scale-sized marker lights illuminate and can be controlled to be on or off – on each end – independently
– Full ICC Interior – chairs, bunks, desks, lockers, sink and (non-operating) toilet! The interior is accurately and fully-painted with the two-tone green
– The interior is illuminated with (dim!) lights and the scale size Pyle lanterns are lit as well.
– No complicated decoder. No complicated programming. No complicated electronics. DC/DCC compatible track-powered “no fuss” interior and marker light lighting – simple and easy to operate with included wand
– Full underbody details – brake system with brake rods and piping, battery box, electrical plugs and conduit, plumbing detail options, axle generator and more!
– Beautiful side details – wire grab irons, ladder rungs, roof hand holds, and coupler lift bars – no “molded in” plastic grab irons here!
– Separate air hoses with B&O signature platform-level angle cock shutoff handle detail!
– CNC-machined standard RP25 .110” tread 33” wheels (Yes, semi-scale .088” wheels are available separately!)
– All-New precision Tangent Scale Models 70-ton Gould roller-bearing trucks with separate brake beam part
– Recommended age 14 years and older
Don’t miss out on the Tangent Scale Models B&O I-18 Bay Window Caboose, our first release in the Tangent caboose line. Pricing for RTR models is $106.95, with quantity discounts for direct purchases from Tangent Scale Models.