Think of the PS-2CD 4750 (“PS4750″) prototype as the EMD SD40-2 of covered hoppers. Similar to the SD40-2, Pullman-Standard (“PS”) began production of the 4750 covered hopper in 1972 and was the most popular seller within its peer group with more than 56,000 cars produced (not including thousands of clones from other builders and railroads). The 4750 followed upon the successful “high hip” design of one of Pullman’s earlier designs, the 4740 covered hopper, also offered by Tangent Scale Models. When Pullman ceased production of 4750s in 1981, the amassed fleet was the largest single body covered hopper fleet from any of builder, and was arguably the most prolific productions of a singular design during any era. In other words, they were super common!
Like previous offerings, the PS4750 model from Tangent Scale Models is a state of the art, dimensionally-accurate scale replica with highly accurate “true-to-life” colors and precise letter stencils. Our PS4750 offers our most ambitious effort yet to include a multitude of detail variations to replicate the different phases of production and customer specifications. Example variations include: body shells with or without holes in the side posts, brake systems, outlet gates, roofs, roof hatches, roof overhangs, running boards, crossover platforms, end ladders, jacking pads, brakewheel housings, and brakewheels. This replica includes our fine “near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail. Our ready-to-operate replica is finished with coupler lift bars accompanying Kadee® scale couplers and sufficient hidden weights to ensure the model operates as good as it looks.
Our motto is “Unparalleled scale replicas for discriminating railroad modelers”. Features for these PS4750 replicas include:
- Dimensional accuracy – scaled from Pullman-Standard plans and verified with field measurements
- Highly correct “true to life” colors
- “Hyper-Accurate” lettering including exact fonts and lettering placement
- Genuine Kadee® scale couplers
- “Near-scale” draft gear box with beautifully-rendered side “key” detail
- Multiple road numbers for each scheme
- “See through” etched metal running boards and crossover platforms (in one of 3 possible variations)
- Road-specific details for each scheme, including 7 different brake systems, 3 different outlet gates, 3 different sets of roof hatches, 4 jacking pad sets, with or without shaker brackets, 2 roof overhangs, 3 different running board and crossover platform options, end ladders options, 7 brakewheel housing and clevis options, and 2 brakewheel options.
- Beautiful details – wire grab irons and coupler lift bars – no “molded in” plastic grab irons here!
- Separate air hoses
- CNC-machined 36” wheels in high quality Tangent Scale Models 100-ton trucks
- Recommended age 14 years and older
Please click on the images at right for pricing, SKUs, high resolution photos, prototype photos, car number options, and to order!