PLEASE NOTE: Our Bethlehem 70-Ton Riveted Drop-End Gondolas are now sold out at Tangent Scale Models. To see the cars that are sold out but may be available in shops or on eBay, click here. We are planning a new production of these gondola cars, which will happen in 2018. Stay tuned to this site for more information, and please give us a chance to serve you.
Tangent Scale Models is pleased to now offer the 52-6 riveted 70-ton drop-end gondola car as designed and produced by Bethlehem Steel. First produced in March 1937 for Baltimore & Ohio Railroad as class O-59, B&O alone purchased 4,000 of these drop-end gondolas which served every corner of North America in many services. Five additional railroads purchased these Bethlehem-design gondolas in intervening years until production ceased in 1957, with some going to second-hand owners as well. Most of these gondolas were phased from revenue service by the mid-1980s, with many serving additional years in various MOW roles.
We also offer undecorated kits for those of you that want to build your own!
Our motto is “Unparalleled scale replicas for discriminating railroad modelers”. We hope you’ll agree! Our Bethlehem 70-ton riveted Drop-end Gondola replicas include:
- Dimensional accuracy – scaled exactly from Bethlehem Steel plans
- Highly accurate “true to life” colors
- Exact fonts and lettering placement – compare our replicas to the prototype photos on our website!
- Detail variations: Tie downs appropriate for each paint scheme
- Detail variations: Steel or wood deck inside the car
- Detail variations: Duryea and conventional end sill detail appropriate for each paint scheme
- Detail variations: Tack board locations appropriate for each paint scheme
- Detail variations: End door variations (Dreadnaught and Straight Corrugated) appropriate for each paint scheme
- Brake platforms appropriate for each paint scheme
- Road-specific handbrakes applied to match production specifications (Universal, Ajax, or Equipco handbrakes available as separate parts, too!)
- Interior deck sits at the scale height
- Interior detail inside the gondola
- Wire grab irons and coupler lift bars
- Air hoses
- Weighted to NMRA specs for smooth operation
- Kadee® scale metal couplers
- Tangent 70-ton ASF A-3 Ride-Control trucks with free-rolling metal wheels
- Recommended age 14 years and older.
Now in our fifth year of operation, Tangent Scale Models offers five different high-quality, well-researched, and smartly-executed HO scale replicas. Our first two offerings are Pullman-Standard covered hoppers from the 1960s and 1970s: the PS-2 4000 and the PS-2CD 4740. Tangent Scale Models is indeed still a new manufacturer, but we plan to grow and serve you well with both information and models. Our shopping cart is on the Buy Models page, where we provide a listing of our model train products and all available road numbers!
Please click on the images at right for pricing, SKUs, high resolution photos, prototype photos, car number options, and/or to order!